Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 1 month ago

What happens when you do not use the health insurance that you paid for?

I currently pay $148.00 for part B. I do not trust doctors because they only want to get you on drugs. Why should I have to pay for something I will never use. 

• dumb

Congress is enforcing its law. Deal with it.

• L

Sooner or later, something happens to all of us and be thankful you have it.

• DON W

You are not required to have Medicare Part B.  It is optional.  If you're adamant that you'll never use it, you can drop it and only have your Medicare Part A (which you don't pay for, assuming you put into the Medicare fund when you were younger).  It's a risk, but it's yours to make.

It's like any other insurance policy. You pay to be covered and, if you don't use it, you'll lose it. On the other hand, if your expenses are high, be glad you've got insurance. I never used it until age 70. Then I was diagnosed with Leukemia and my monthly med is almost $15,000 each month. Insurance pays most of that as it only costs me around $750 each month. I'd be screwed without insurance.

If you don't use it, you don't use it. Nothing happens. As long as you pay your premiums in whatever way you do, you'll just have the insurance in case you ever WANT to use it. 

Someone else uses it.  The price you pay is less than what it costs per person that does use it.  If you don't use it, you don't get a refund, and the money you paid helps to cover the costs of the healthcare of those who do use it.

• Judy

Nothing happens.  No, you don't get a refund.

probably nothing , you just lose out on using it

"Why should I have to pay for something I will never use."

You don't have to.

But you're being pretty optimistic that you'll make it from cradle to crematorium consuming zero medical services along the way.

• ?

In simplicity, insurance premiums are based on the assumption that all of the premiums paid are put into a big pot of money.  As claims are processed, payments to health care providers are taken from the pot.  Some people will have claims more than they pay in, while others have very small claims, or none at all.

Over the long run, the insurance companies collect more money than pay out.