Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Is it immature to get your mother involved in sibling drama?

I’m a senior in high school and I share a room with my 13 year old sister.  I already told my parents I didn’t like sharing a room with a little kid and they don’t care.  There excuse is that even though she’s younger we act close in age but I don’t see it at all.  This morning she wouldn’t stop teasing me and I kept on politely asking her to stop she never did.  I mentioned it to my mother because I needed help I did not know what to do and my mom ended up talking to her about it.  I guess my sister then told my older brother, he starts lashing out on me and told me I need to grow up, learn how to fight my own battles and I need to stop trying to rely on my parents to fix my problems.  I personally don’t believe this I feel like if you have a problem, why is it bad to ask for help? In my experience with ignoring her it just made it worse. Is he right?

• Foofa

The oldest you could possible be is 18 and to most people that's still in the "child" range in terms of emotional development. So sure, talk to your parents. You're a kid, your sister is a kid and it's your parents' job to mediated between you two. 

• y

That is what parents are for, but this sort of crap should have been dealt with/taught a long time ago.

i dont think so, thats what parents are for

Remind her that 13 is old enough to stop acting like "a little kid." As for "fighting your own battles," there shouldn't be "battles" between siblings. You're all family and are on the same side. Yes, ignoring her will make it worse, for awhile, because she will probably increase her attempts to get your attention and mess with you. Just keep ignoring her. If she can't get any response out of you, she'll get bored and stop. Or you might try telling her that if she wants your attention, you'd rather do something fun, not fight. Play a game together or go for a walk or do each other's hair or something positive. 

As a senior and being older by 4-5 years, you should be handling your own battles. Your parents should give you advice if you need it but they shouldn't "fix" things for you. Try to convince your parents to get you a room divider. That will solve a lot of your problems. Ikea sells bookshelves that can be used for that for less than $250. And there are all sorts of sliding door options if someone in your household is handy enough to install. You are the older sibling and your sister probably looks up to you. She is looking for attention from you. Maybe try being sisterly.