Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 1 month ago

What settings to use to photograph the moon with Nikon p1000?

Hi! Can someone please tell me what settings to set my Nikon Coolpix P1000 to take a nice photograph of the moon?

There’s a built in moon setting, but I’m wondering if anyone uses manual and sets their own settings

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You can use spot metering. Manual exposure is okay too. You can adjust your settings on the run. The moon is actually moving, and so is the earth, so too slow a shutter speed can result in a slight blur even if you use a tripod to steady the shot. Use f/5.6 or f/8 if possible because that would limit diffraction. Good thing about digital cameras is that you can instantly see the results. If it is overexposed or underexposed, you can adjust the shutter speed or aperture to get it right. Use a long focal length. I photograph the moon with a 400mm lens. The moon also looks bigger when it is lower in the sky so start photgraphing it early in the evening to get the best results. 

• 1 month ago

The Moon is lit by the sun just the same as the Earth - the exposure will be the same as a bright sunny day.  The problem is that most of the image is black, so automatic settings will try to average out the exposure.  

• qrk
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Experiment. As a first start, if you want to shoot manual, around 300mm (almost filling the frame, ISO 100, 1/125s, f/6.3. Adjust settings (usually shutter speed) as necessary since the brightness will change due to atmospherics and distance from Earth to Moon. If your camera has a histogram and/or zebra stripe (overexposure highlighting) features, use them.

If you don't shoot raw, set your image sharpening to none or a minimal value as sharpening will cause an annoying bright edge around the periphery of the  moon.

You'll find that shooting a less than full moon is more interesting due to the shadow structures at the edge of the shadow.

The moon is a really bright object and easy to photograph.

• 1 month ago

Tripod. Manual focus (lens set to infinity). Use Self-timer.  F11, 1/125 sec. ISO 100.  That gives you a good point to work from, but don't drop the shutter speed, because the Moon moves and if your tripod isn't rock solid there will be some shaking.   You can then compare these results to those taken on your camera's program setting. If you want the moon with some foreground interest (makes much more interesting photos and makes the Moon look larger) then bracket your exposures and use Photoshop (or the free GIMP etc) to combine two layers into one.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Sumi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Since your camera has a Moon mode, use it.  You can put it in manual if you want.  I'd start off with ISO 100 for sharpest image quality.  Avoid high ISO settings as this will lower the sharpness, contrast and color quality while introducing too much noise.

While it's dark outside when the Moon is out, the Moon itself is extremely bright.  Remember it's night where you're at, but on the Moon it's daytime.  Therefore, your exposure for the Moon is the same for when taking photos on Earth during the day.

Because you'll have your camera's lens at its strongest position, your main concern will be camera shake.  The Moon mode will likely automatically turn the image stabilization on, but if not, turn it on or use a tripod.  But do not use IS while the camera is solid such as being on a tripod as this will cause the IS system to fail.  IS systems are looking for movement, but when there isn't any, they tilt and cause more blur.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.