How can a prayer be a formal affair?

A formal resolution, I can understand. But formal communication with our Creator... What could be more personal than that? 

(I'm sharing an idea that just struck me. What are your thoughts?)

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Formal means presentable. So a formal prayer is one that is presented for a greater group of people. Things that are formal can be deeply personal. Think wedding.

• 1 month ago

Catholic Mystics spend the better part of their lives engaging in just such activities. 

• 2 months ago

It's no telling what man has made up in today's Christianity.

Especially when I Thessalonians 5:17 says "Pray without ceasing"

How in the world can you stop praying to say a "formal prayer?"

• 2 months ago

Although the Bible says that Jehovah * God knows everything, it also shows that he is not interested in merely collecting facts about his worshippers. (Psalm 139:6; Romans 11:33) His limitless memory is not like that of a computer that impersonally stores data about individuals. In fact, God is keenly interested in our innermost thoughts because he wants us to draw closer to him. (Psalm 139:23, 24; James 4:8) That is why Jesus encouraged his followers to pray, even though his Father well knows our basic needs. (Matthew 6:6-8) The more we share our thoughts with our Creator, the more we will draw close to him.

At times, we may find it difficult to know precisely what to ask for in prayer. In such cases, God can even look beyond our unexpressed feelings and use his perfect knowledge of our circumstances to respond to our needs. (Romans 8:26, 27; Ephesians 3:20) When we realize that God has intervened in our personal life, even in very subtle ways, we feel drawn to him.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

If it's a formal prayer it's not about just one person praying.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Prayers are entirely for the benefit of the people praying --- there's no one at the other end of the communication.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

CUZ WE ARE SPEAKING WITH THE CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.