Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

What does 'upset me greatly' mean here? ?

I sent the following message out to people who previously attended a trip that was affiliated with a charity after I made a complaint to the regulator about the charity. 

"Hi,

Please see attached statement and covering letter which has been sent to the Regulator regarding the Charity. I am sending a these to anyone who they may be of interest to.  

Kind Regards,

[My Name]

One got back, saying:

"This does not interest me, it upsets me greatly..."

What does 'upsets me greatly' mean here - are they saying the contents of my complaint upset them, or the fact that I complained in the first place? 

Not exactly certain as to intended meaning, but I get the impression that it is the complaint itself, rather than what was the subject of the complaint, which is seen as the big problem.  The supposed wrong was not seen by the writer as the wrong, it was that someone would even make such a claim that is seen as the wrong thing.  Something about the claim itself was offensive, or perhaps it was the very fact that you thought it appropriate to tell that particular person about it at all, when it was not appropriate as far as the writer sees things.

Maybe it's a comment on your English:

I sent the following message out to people who [previously attended -- no one "attends" a trip; it's not an event] WENT on a trip that was affiliated with a charity after I made a complaint to the regulator about the charity. 

"Hi,

Please see THE attached statement and [covering] COVER letter which [has] HAVE been sent to the Regulator regarding the Charity. I am sending [a] these to anyone TO WHOM [who] they may be of interest [to].  

Kind Regards,

[My Name]

The fact that you made whatever the complaint was, considering it irrelevant and inappropriate for the occasion. It's not just the words, but that you did it at all. It is possible your complaint was about something the other person considered trivial.