Can you legally give your child a mononym?

I live in California is it illegal to put only a first name on your child's birth certificate ?

4 Answers

  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

    Of course it's legal.

  • blank
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    You can name and refer to your kid anyway you want, but why make life any more difficult for the kid than need be?   Why not give a full legal name for all docuements - and just call the kid your preferred mononym?

    Seems to have worked out well for Cherilyn Sarkisian - who is more popularly known as Cher.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    No, it is not.  "You" also cannot get a Social Security card without using full names - first and last.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    do it anyway and then just wait until somebody says you have to change it at most all you have to do is just go get the birth certificate whenever you sign up for social security card because it seems like one of the Williams sisters tried to just change her name to just one first name at one point

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.