Can you explain how to get into stocks? ?

Hello, I always wanted to get into stocks but when I have looked at a book it's too much and I just don't understand. My partner is still learning about it and he annoys me when he talks too much. My brother would tell me I should get into the types of stocks that are battery for a phone, parts of a device, etc which I understand but how? Like how do you know what stocks to get into for that. He passed away almost 5 years ago. Any information, books you recommend, your experience, etc will be appreciated. 

Update:

Also I'm not talking about investing thousands but starting small.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

To make it simple and safe,make an appointment with a financial advisor through a bank or credit union.Their experience in dealing with novice investors such as yourself is invaluable.

• 1 month ago

Get a time machine and go to the mid-1600s and commit a misdemeanor.  The authorities will arrest you, put you on a platform in the town square, and you will get into stocks.  Everyone will laugh and jeer at you, too!

• garry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

simple see a stock broker .

• 1 month ago

Talk to a financial advisor before investing anything. An initial consultation will usually be free or very inexpensive, and you can find out if you even have the money to invest in the stock market. Don't SIGN anything. And be careful signing up online for a brokerage account--you can very very QUICKLY get into trouble, and that's just one more place you have your banking and financial information for hackers. 

Buying stock is a fairly simple process--you find a stock you want; it's priced by individual shares--EACH share will cost X-amount of money--and you tell the broker how many you want to buy. Then you use your broker or account to track how well the stock is doing. 

The trouble with this is, it will cost you money every time you buy or sell. There are fees you have to pay for that. So utilizing your account a lot will rack up a lot of fees. 

That's why it's best to talk to an advisor first. Find out if it's a good idea for you to invest, how much they would suggest you invest, and they can also advise you on the best performing stocks.  The most important thing to remember is that you should NEVER invest any money you can't afford to LOSE. That doesn't mean you will lose it, but it's ALWAYS a possibility. The market isn't stable OR predictable. You never know when a big downturn is coming, you can't go by any popular opinions, because they may or may not be realistic. 

There are ways to 'invest' in stocks without as much risk, though--there are retirement funds like 401Ks, which use your money to invest in groups of stocks called index funds. Some are higher risk than others. But this isn't money you can move around a lot--it's pretty much tied up in those funds until you retire. Please just talk to a human being with some expertise in this field. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Research some brokers. Avoid Robinhood and Stash. They seem legit, but are sketchy. Most brokers you can start as low as $10.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

First off: Read an LEARN. Stay away from Robinhood and look things up at Investopedia,com 

• 1 month ago

If you aren't already doing your research and looking for cheap and/or reasonably priced high quality companies, then you have no business in buying or selling stocks. An index fund would make more sense for a small amounts of money in terms of fees and diversification. 

• A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

First, before investing in anything you should understand that  investment is all at risk.   You could buy 10 shares of ABC Company for $10.00 each today.  In a year that stock could now be worth 12.00 each because the company has done well and the value of it has increased, so if you sold it you would make some profit, less fees and would pay taxes on the gain.   Some stocks declare dividends and pay out some of the profits back to shareholders monthly, quarterly, anually,  might be only  .50 per share, you can reinvest or take a check.  But that company could fail and your $100.  investment is now worth nothing.  If you sell at a loss you can only use that loss to offset gains from other stocks.   So it is a bit complicated.   Many people buy groups of stocks that are premixed.    Pick a stock, and set up a chart with the price today and track it over time.   Google the company, find out if they pay dividends,  

• 1 month ago

People who don't know a whole lot about a specific company and don't have time to watch it several times per day should not be buying stocks.  If you want to invest without fear, research good mutual funds and find one, maybe two good balanced or allocation funds and invest regularly, never pull the money out until you retire and you will retire very comfortably.  You can research mutual funds at Morningstar.com/funds.

• 1 month ago

Can't you Google 'how to learn investments for a beginner'.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.