If it's been a week since my interview and I haven't heard anything did I probably not get the job?

• Trish

I almost didn't get the job once because they were waiting for me to call them...they claim they don't know if you're interested in getting hired unless you call to tell them you want the job.

Not necessarily.  It could be there were a large number of applicants. Wait a few more day, and if you haven't still heard anything just them a call. 

• H

If it's a job that pays minimum then don't even bother. Why put so much work to companies that pay sh**. Keep looking for other jobs. If they want you then they will call you.

• If you're allowed to give them a call and follow up. Ask them if they're still interested in you for the position. You didn't tell us what job you're applying to, some have faster hiring processes then others. 

They have not lost your info. If they wanted you, you would know it.

But you could be 2nd and the first person changes their mind a week from now in which case you could get a late call.

But don't hold your breath.

Do not call or email. Its a bad look and its insulting.

• Alex

Very early in my career, I wasted about 6 weeks waiting on an offer from an interview that I thought I aced.  Two things happened during that time.  One, a couple of really good opportunities came along that I missed out on because I was waiting on that one job.  Two, they never filled the position at all.  They just closed it.

After that, I made it a personal practice to never assume I got a job until I had a WRITTEN offer.  What that means is I keep looking for job ads, applying, and interviewing.  If a company I like makes me an acceptable offer, wonderful!  If not, I haven't lost out on pursuing other opportunities.

I would wait at least another week. Some companies have a lot of applications and interviews to go through and do before they narrow it down. I once interviewed and didn't hear back, then 3 weeks later, they called to say I got the job. Don't give up hope just yet.

A company can only interview a certain number of folks in a day.  Usually the HR department is one person.  An interview takes 30 mins (or more)...and the post interview paperwork takes 15  mins...and the HR person has other tasks on top of that...if a company has 100 applicants that they want to interview before making a final decision. and the HR person can only do 5 per day...it will be 20 days BEFORE they can start the process of calling back the 20 or so who they feel are good quality folks...

So, you have another 2 to 3 weeks to wait.

Do not call them and annoy them.

Send the interviewer a thank you card and keep applying and interviewing with ohter places.

Give them a call in a couple of days if you have not heard yet.  Good luck in any case.