Taking family footage from VHS onto discs.?

When I record my family footage off of VHS tapes and then onto DVD's the footage does not look as good when it's on the disc, then I digitize the footage and the digital copy looks even worse than the DVD now, is it supposed to downgrade each time like this? is this avoidable somehow? 

Answer to L - It's a Sony VHS-DVD recorder I'm using I looked to find out the model but couldn't find that info, I'm struggling to understand your questions sorry I'm just not tech savvy, I don't know what file type and "compression process" I am using I don't even know what that is but the machine does it for me I can tell you this when I digitise the file from off the disc It's as an MP4. For playback I have used my Laptop screen which is HD and a modern PC, my Xbox one & a blu ray player.

• Mark

The DVD recorder should have different quality settings.  The higher the setting the less recording space.  Set to the least recording space.  I've found that any VHS to DVD copy isn't that great.  Remember, the VHS was meant to be watched on low-res CRTs.

• L

There are a few dependencies we need to know about your "conversion environment" before any useful response is provided:

1) What analog to digital conversion hardware and software are you using?

2) When exported to the DVD file, what file type and compression process are you using?

3) Typically, DVDs were played back an a TV smaller than many of today's monitors. What are you using for playback?