Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Would I be able to sue the owner of my job if he fires me because I don’t want to work around unsafe broken equipments that can cause injury?

I work at an franchise  icecream shop. There are a few broken things that my cause injury. The plastic light cover in the walk-in fridge is broken with sharp edges and its hanging down about to fall. Pieces of it have already fallen on the floor. The health inspector has given the owner four violations on the light. He told us it could fall on someones head at any moment.  The shelves that hold the empty Icecream pans is bending. One pan slid off and I had to dodge out of the way before it hit me. The shelves in the walk-in freezer, holding full pans of icecream, have un-welded and is being held by a bungee cord. Each full pan weighs 40lb each. one fell on an employees foot and injured her. But one of these days all the pans will fall trapping someone or knocking someone out. If they become unconscious in a -10 degree freezer...their dead in 15 mins. 

The shelves, the light and (not to mention the filth, sewer smells, and the roaches) are getting worse by the day. I’m afraid of walking into both walk-ins and I’m afraid of going near shelves. I can’t find another job because right now there are no new listings for what I do. I’m stuck there and scared of injury. We have told the owner many times but he just puts a bandaids over it. So my question is can I refuse to go to work until everything is fixed and if he fires me for refusing to work can I sue him?   Or is there anything else I can do

I see no grounds for a lawsuit if you are aware of the dangers and for whatever reason stay on the job.  You are warned, you are afraid of being injured, you are still there.  If you are seriously concerned, resign for cause and file for Unemployment.

Suing is one thing, winning is another.  Make an anonymous call the the Health Department again.

Not successfully, no.

You "can" sue, but whether or not you'd win is another story.   Your employer isn't responsible for keeping you with income if you aren't working..   especially not when you have other options.

You could quit and file unemployment..  Unsafe working conditions are one of the few reasons why you could quit and still be eligible for unemployment.

If you got injured, you can file for workers comp.

You can also contact labor board/osha to report the hazards

No, you can't successfully sue the owner if he fires you. It's not your responsibility to decide which issues should be fixed. If you cause trouble for the manager over issues that are none of your business, you will likely be fired, and justifiably so.