Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 3 months ago

Ex broke up with me because of age difference?

Im 24 and my ex is 32. Were both in the Air Force and met through work (we dont work togeather). We dated for months but she grew an axiety that id reject her because im 8 years younger and she doesnt think well work out long term. She had no reasoning for this statement, we never fought always had fun, and its not as if I act “24”. She does have a son but is considered she cant build a life with me because of the age gap. She already has a son and has been divorced and wants me to find someone “my own age to build a life with”. Im just confused because our interest and deep conversations actually make me forget the age gap.

Erroneous typos

• Foofa

Not sure what you're seeking here. It's not like we can change her mind and she obviously thought this through before ending the relationship. Regardless of the reason she just doesn't want to be with you. The honorable thing would be to accept that and move on. It's disrespectful to her to keep moaning that she was wrong about this. You don't even know if the age difference was the real reason or if it was just the easiest way to let you down. 

• ?

She’s just having fun, got bored with you and hooking up with someone else. Don’t take it personal

I don’t see any question here.

She has valid concerns and doesn’t wish to take risks when it comes to her family stability.

She made a very hard choice and has sacrificed her current happiness for the sake of her ongoing responsibilities as a parent. She will no doubt have many regrets over her decision. 

But you need to respect it. Contact her once, best in writing, to let her know that although you deeply regret her decision you will respect it and will not contact her again in any personal capacity unless she contacts you first. 

Forget any of that nonsense about “being friends afterwards” which many people try. It just extends the heartache for both sides and never usually works. The only exceptions I’ve ever seen are where parents break up and have ongoing shared parental responsibilities. Those friendships tend to occur because the ex-partners are forced into making their ongoing relationship work smoothly instead of the far more typical one of years of hostility and bitterness until their children are independent.

A 32 year old single parent has far less time and opportunity to find her ideal life partner than any 24 year old single guy. She might never successfully find anyone else, but at least she will succeed in her primary aim of safeguarding her family.

Take it like a sensible adult and move on. If you cannot do that then it strongly suggests that she dumped you not because of the age difference but because you’re immature.

That's unfortunate, but I can't tell what you're asking us. What precisely is your question?