How should I send my condolences?

My dad's good friend recently passed away. He was always really nice to my brother and I. His funeral is in two days and supposedly they are going to have about 40 people attending the service. His wife has had Covid for quite some time and was around her husband while having the illness.

I would like to attend but feel unsafe about it due to possible Covid exposure. Should I just give her a card instead offering my condolences?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

I would not attend ANY gatherings at this time.

Send a Sympathy card address to the family.

If a loved one of mine passed away, there would be NO gathering of ANY kind at this time. 

Iam SHOCKED that a family with a COVID history would host a gathering. 

No Wonder COVID has KILLED 100,000 USA people in the past 30 days! People gathered during the holidays!

• Daisy

A nice card with a heartfelt message is a good idea.  Since there will be a lot of people at the service (and you didn't mention anything about wearing masks and social distancing), I would pass, too.  That's how the virus spreads- in groups and gatherings like this one. 

Writing a kind hearted letter would truly work wonders zx

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

Write the surviving family a note.  They will understand you no attending, but go ahead and send the note asap.  It doesn't have to be formal.

You should SEND her a card or (even better) a letter. If this man is not a relative there is no reason why you should take up one of the 40 spaces.

Why don't you ask your brother what he is planning on doing?  The two of you could jointly send a condolence card to the family.  It's better than asking random strangers on the internet.

• ?

i would give her a card 

You're certainly justified in just sending a card, but if you'd really like to attend and you're just worried about contracting the virus, find out if the service is being held out of doors. If it is, you're pretty safe to attend as long as you and people nearby are wearing masks. If not, send your regrets.

Listen to your instinct and what innately feels right for you.  Given your concerns, there is no obligation to attend the funeral services.