? asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

If 'face mask required' signs don't work why would 'gun free zone' signs work?

I was in a store today, they had a big 'face masks required' sign on the door.  Only a few people wore a mask and even the store manager wasn't wearing a mask.  He said he thought it was a stupid rule, he was required to post the sign but he wasn't going to enforce it.  There were big signs for the hand sanitizer station, but I seen a number of people come in and nobody used it.  I know people say they are tired of COVID-19, but that doesn't change the fact that people are still getting sick and dying from it.

There was also a little sign on the door, 'firearms prohibited on this property'.  Why would that little sign keep me safe when everyone ignores the big sign and nobody wears a mask?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Depends upon the context.  In my state a merchant can be fined $3,000 per day for failure to enforce the mask requirements.   The merchant may ALSO have someone arrested for refusing to leave when in violation of either the mask sign or the firearms sign.  Simple as that. 

Since the vast majority of gun owners in the USA are not criminals, they probably have no reason to violate a store's policy either.  If you want to carry a gun everywhere, find a place that doesn't prohibit that. Same with a mask.

Everyone knows what a gun can do.  There is apparently some debate as to what a mask can do, although that doesn't change the enforceability of a mandate or a store rule.

• 2 months ago

Well, if the person in charge is going to openly not enforce the rule, no rule anywhere will work.  Duh.  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Face mask signs are obeyed in my city. The store won’t let you in...they set their own rules.

• 2 months ago

That's a criminally negligent "manager."  He & damned fools of his ilk are the reason why in the U.S., per capita, you're 4X more likely to catch the virus & 2.5X more likely to die from it than we are in Canada.  It's no wonder the U.S. is now Shithole #1.  You have only yourselves to blame.  

If you want a "gun free zone", simply report to police EVERY person who comes into your place with a gun, & have them arrested & charged.  After a few end up in prison, they'll get the message.  Such behaviour wouldn't be tolerated in a SANE country like Canada.  It must really suck to live down there in Earth's Lunatic Asylum.  

"T.D." LOSERS: Won't make any difference.  You still live in a shithole, & even YOU know it!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Well, there's a pretty big difference between masks and guns.  People in that store don't wear them because it's not enforced.  If it were enforced, they would wear them.  And that's just being allowed in the store.  Guns are a lot more serious; the police will get involved.

• 2 months ago

Good question.  The problem with gun free zones is not a problem with gun bans.  It is a problem with zones.  Nationwide gun free rules do work, in countries that enforce them.  But doing it for an individual business, or even a city, doesn't work.  It has to be nationwide, and when it is, you don't need a sign.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Why do "no shoes, no shirt, no service" signs only work to make me go into fast food restaurants wearing absolutely nothing but a pair of flip-flops and a ratty DNCE t-shirt that's two sizes too small and demand service?

• 2 months ago

Gun Free zones will work as well as drug free zones

It seems criminals don't really give a crap about breaking the law

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.