Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 2 months ago

External Hard Drive problems?

Hi, I have a 4 TB external hard drive by My Passport and an Omen 15 gaming laptop. Today when I decided to restart my laptop it wasn't booting up but it booted when I disconnected my hard drive. I can plug my hard drive back in afterwards but my computer won't completely read it and load all of my data from it and I can't restart or shut down my computer with it in. It will stay on the shutdown or restart screen until I disconnect my hard drive. Any answers as to what's going on and how to fix it?

Best computer services provider https://lanet.help/

your laptop has a 2 Tb limit to disk size ... did My Passport not give you a utilities disk or download to overcome this?  ask them for it.

• keerok

Two things come to mind. It's either your external hard drive is really corrupted (damaged) or it wasn't really 4TB at all (wink-wink).

• David

The hard drive is corrupted and partially unreadable, to fix you need to run chkdsk 

Type-in cmd.

Right-click on Command Prompt from the search results list.

Click Run as administrator.

When Command Prompt launches, type the command: 

chkdsk X: /f /r 

Where X: is the external drive letter. If chkdsk cannot fix it the drive has failed and needs replacing.