Generator battery empties qucikly if we dont run generator?

Have a nice day,

Our battery (60Amp) installed in the generator of our small building, which produces 7kw, runs out quickly. Friends say that, you need to run it once a week because it has an automatic feature.

I also get annoyed about it because when we forget running the generator, the battery is gets empty. 

My question is; Why do these generators automatically discharge when there is mains electricity, why don't they keep themselves on charge with the mains electricity.

My second question is, does the generator have a device inside but it doesn't work?

My third question is, there are smart generator chargers. If I plug this into the mains power socket, leave it plugged into the battery of the generator waiting to run when the power goes out, if the battery feels empty and it automatically activates and charges it, would it be a problem? Is BDV090 Black Decker enough for this purpose? I do not know much about this.

I would be very happy if you could give detailed information. Thank you

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Your system could be just about anything, but a 60 amp battery isn't one of them. Batteries aren't rated in just amps.  Need volts also, watt hours or amp hours useful with volts to understand battery capacity. Strongly encourage you to find a licensed electrician.  You clearly are not and your project needs one.

• John
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

What kind of battery? Many things can go wrong with any battery. To cut to the chase, electrolyte.

• Steven
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

60Amp means very little. What voltage and what Amp-hour? a 12V 60Ahr battery is 720 Watt-hours or about 6 minutes at 7KW. A 120Volt( ten car batteries) 60Ahr battery should last one hour.

If the battery is just for starting the generator then it may assume you run it often enough to keep the battery charged. If not, then you need to add a "float charger" to keep your battery charged.    https://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-fl...

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You have zero understanding of how these things are suppose to be set up.  Strongly recommend you keep hands off so you don't hurt yourself or start a fire.    If this mess is hooked to commercial power, things will end bad.  Have someone who understands how batteries are charged explain things.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It sounds like the system is drawing power from the battery even when the mains is on line. You need an electrician to check the system. It should have a trickle charger as part of the system.

What voltage is it?

If it is a single 12V @ 60 Ah battery this is only 720 Wh. How many watts is the building using? Look at the electric bill to find KWh usage. Is the building using power from the battery when the building is locked up after hours? to run a refrigerator, AC, other stuff, computers?

No one can diagnose your system by email or YA.

• Dixon
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It would make sense to have the battery on charge while there is mains available, you could do this with a suitable stand alone battery charger and flying clip-on leads.

The battery probably doesn't normally charge from mains because it was designed for where there is no mains. I'm guessing it is like a car battery in that it charges when the gen. is running but if the gen. doesn't run for a long interval the battery goes flat.

• qrk
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You need a float charger to maintain the battery.

You should also determine the current drain of the battery to make sure that you don't have something amiss.

• Jim
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I suggest taking the battery to a local auto parts store for a free test, they do go bad every 3 years or so. If the battery is critical, replace with a good 'long-life' battery.

If it's fine, I suggest adding a smart charger, 1-5 amps should be adequate, if not, you have to ask why? Does the system have a wifi remote that consumes power? etc.  Might even want to discuss with the manufacturer before other measures besides checking the battery.

If you had provided model# etc, we could be of greater help.

• 1 month ago

You probably have a bad battery. It should last months, depending on the rest of the system. It could also be a bad component in the rest of the system, draining the battery.

Yes, there should be a trickle charger built into the system, but that depends on the company and how good their designers are. Possibly there is one, but the discharge rate (due to a problem) is higher than it can handle.

You can add a battery maintainer easily. The one you mention is a 12 amp charger, that is way overkill, you need a 1 amp maintainer. But if there is a problem with the battery or the system, that would not help.

first step: take the battery to an auto shop and get it checked. How old is it?

second step: measure the current when everything is off. It should be < 10 mA at a guess, but check with the manufacturer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.