Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Is everlasting torment a punishment from God?

Torture, as defined by Google, is the inflicting of serious or permanent injury upon a person for the purpose of *punishment*, or to *make someone say or do something *. Torture isn't necessarily tying someone to a chair and mutilating them with blades or other sharp objects. Mutilation is the key word. That is inflicting serious and/or permanent injury upon a person (another Google definition - albeit, reworded). Way back when, I once saw an atheist ask "What finite crime is worth infinite punishment?" Well, punishment, according to MOST people is either causing pain, depriving someone (like a child) of someone something they desire (not need), or making them do something that they don't want to. What is the ultimate purpose of punishment? To teach a lesson. (In my mind, a moral lesson). To rehabilitate someone. And im sure this line of reasoning is why Dante Aligheri thought of Purgatorio in his Divine Comedy. Inferno, Purgatory, Paradiso. (Should add: I've never read it.) Anyway, what is the reasoning (the logical thought behind hell) for an everlasting (not eternal) hell? How exactly does this open up the mind of the condemned, how does it open a door/window and create an opportunity for reform, rehabilitation, moral change? Is metanoia possible in hell? I don't think so. Popping up in a physical place (how is pain felt without neurology and nociceptors?) where there is constant excruciating agony can only lead one to severe psychological damage. Trauma. (Keep reading)

Update:

maybe even DID (multiple personalities), catatonia (assuming  he allows that), eventual solipsism. And of course, rage, horror, terror, agony, sorrow, etc. Every single emotional pain possible. Causing more anger. So, if hell lasts forever (because hatred can never die, as one theist here put it way back when), then he didn't actually think it through. Now did he?

Update 2:

And... if it isn't exactly punishment, then what is he trying to get us to say or do in hell? Nothing. It would be impossible. Once you go to hell, you're stuck, as Protestants put it. No way out. No purgatory. No salvation, no forgiveness. Everlastingly screwed beyond hope. So, isn't mutilating people for the rest of eternity a little bit sadistic?

Update 3:

Not a rant. Opening up the opportunity for a rationale behind hell.

Attachment image

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

it's not punishment as there is nothing to gain or learn from hell, it is your last stop. It depends who you ask but overall I generally hear that God doesnt send to you to hell, since hell is basically "without god" you die and perish forever in the lake of fire because you did not believe in God and since you did not believe, you cant join God in heaven and there is only one other place to go. But eternal doesnt make sense because the bible says only those faithful will have eternal life, not that evildoers and nonbelievers will have eternal life but in hell. 

• 1 month ago

No this is what the priests who invented religion preach to keep their congregations in line and obedient in fear.  They also preach that God is love and forgiveness almost in the same breath, sure sounds like a double standard to me.   False prophets have been around forever, Jesus warned us  to beware of them.   

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Many people believe their infinitely loving god will have people tortured eternally for things like having the bad luck to be born into a family practicing the wrong religion.

• 1 month ago

I think it means something worse than punishment. I think some translations use that word, but it comes from this:

Luke 16:27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

Torment

basanos 

βάσανος básanos, bas'-an-os; perhaps remotely from the same as G939 (through the notion of going to the bottom); a touch-stone, i.e. (by analogy) torture:—torment.

I. a touchstone, which is a black siliceous stone used to test the purity of gold or silver by the colour of the streak produced on it by rubbing it with either metal

II. the rack or instrument of torture by which one is forced to divulge the truth

III. torture, torment, acute pains

A. of the pains of a disease

B. of those in hell after death

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexic...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes and no.  "Everlasting" is an adjective describing God.  So Eternal punishment is the sort of punishment that God can inflict on us.  It doesn't mean that the punishment is necessarily forever.

Hell is never forever.  Death and hell must both be emptied and destroyed so that the resurrections and final judgment can take place (Rev. 20:12-14).  Of course we can be redeemed in "times of refreshing" as we individually pay "the utmost farthing" for our offenses.  Either way, there is only finite punishment for finite sin.  God's love, justice, and mercy are all intact.

From "To the Law and To the Testimony"

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

"Purgatory" doesn't exist, and catholic beliefs lead to hell.  Eternal torment is real, and it is easy to avoid, it is avoided by believing in the Lord Jesus Christ.  Death leads to immediate heaven or hell, and it is too late to be saved, after death.  To be in heaven and not hell, believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, who is God and who died on the cross and shed His blood to pay for all of our sins in full, and who was buried, and who resurrected from the dead.  The only way to avoid hell is by believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, without adding any of your own works.  See Romans 4:5, 1 Corinthians 15:3-4, and John 3:16.

• Hal
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Those that "perish" in the "second death" where God "destroys both body and soul" do not have eternal life.

But, there is hope --  For God so loves the world that He gave his one and only son, that whomever will believe in him should not perish but have eternal life!  For God did not send his son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.