Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

Is it safe for a person with chronic anemia to eat a vegan/vegetarian diet?

I've been mostly "omnivorous" growing up, but the older I get I find myself having more and more disgust for meat - especially red meat in general.

I've tried taking numerous iron level raising pills, but absolutely none of them work. This next one might shock some people - but I assure it's pretty much normal for me because nothing can really change my iron levels; but right now they sit at an all time high of 5%. Either way, I'm still alive and kicking I guess.

I've also eaten plenty of foods that are supposed to raise your iron levels, but again nothing has worked. I keep a very balanced diet as it is, so I wouldn't say I'm unhealthy. I eat a variety of foods - including meat even though I don't like it as much.

The only thing I would absolutely hate to give up is cheeseburgers lol, but given the option of veggie burgers I'm sure there are ways around that. The bigger question is would it be healthy for a person like me?

thats a question for your doctor, not armchair experts on a weird web site. Ask him or her. If supplements and iron rich foods don't raise your iron, you have more problems than just diet. You could have a slow GI bleed and in that case, no amount of supplements or diet changes will help. 

Time to find out through testing and history, to find out if there is a cause of your iron depletion. If it just how you are? Are you using a medication/drug or have condition(s), that could leeching, preventing absorption/retention of iron.

This may call for more than the help of a family GP. So time for a referral to bigger guns than you have had access to up to this point. 

• kswck2

A question for a doctor or a nutritionist 

Synthetic iron pills are not optimal. You must get Heme iron from animals

• Louis

Agree with all the other answers. You need to talk to your doctor. my guess is that there is something that is interfering with your absorption of iron. 

I've been borderline anemic forever. I get enough iron in my diet. Vegans and vegetarians can also get sufficient amounts of iron  through their diet. 

Talk to your doctor and to a dietitian. 

I presume you're getting your iron levels checked by a doctor. Your doctor should also be able to advise you on how to improve your iron levels, if necessary. Not all anemia is caused by low iron.  I have been severely anemic in the past, but it had nothing to do with my diet. It was caused by medication. Once you know the source of the problem, you can work on a solution. See a licensed nutritionist if your doctor knows nothing about personalizing your nutrition.

I am also severely anemic. I also tried to go vegetarian. Safe to say that my bruised shins and arms really didn't impress the doctor. 

Discuss with your health care provider, not strangers on Yahoo.

Every person I've known who had serious anemia received medical treatment for it.   Eating meat was not a cure. 

What is causing your anemia may determine what the treatment is.

• Bill

You should discuss your diet with your doctor.