Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 3 months ago

How do you decide when it's time for a new vehicle?

Besides expendables like tires,oil filters, belts and such I've only spent 250 for a new window and some for a rebuilt starter.  Family all say I should get something a few decades newer though.

Update:

Book value has equaled scrap value for 5 years but it still gets me where I want to go.   '92 Toyota pickup

Update 2:

Been driving it for 27 years now.

Update 3:

No problem there David- neither my truck or I have ever been cool.  It's faded to pink and I'm well past my prime too.

21 Answers

Relevance
  • L
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

When the repairs cost more than the value of the vehicle.  Also, if you have the means to make the payments or pay cash.

• 3 months ago

Whenever I want a change and an extended payment. lol

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

My last; I'd gone thru carb 3x, Still flooded, New  2 micron filter. A 2 year old Factory  Rebuild, too. I'd hit it at 5am,quit when too hot, about 3. For Two  Solid weeks.

Replaced seals, pan gasket, Still Dripped.  Murder getting to it, I hadda lift Engine out. Seems it has to be Glued-On with Silicone. Parts getting real hard to find.  And they say how "great" Toyotas are, never "leak" or nothing.

That was It...I traded it in on a Mazda  I'd had a 323 before ,never crapped out on me. I only hesitated as I understand carbs,   fixed  one  by side of road with a paper clip. I don't understand these new feulies. .  Impossible to Reach  anything, also. Bit the bullet.

EDIT: yeah sure "sounds " like I "understand " carbs..but that Aisen with 36 vacuum lines, from the Spaghetti years,  is a Lousy carb. Most put in Webers. The Mikunis on a 650 Yamaha  V Star are crap, too. 

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

When you no longer look cool.  That's why it's best to drive a '64 Mustang because it will always look cool and go up in value so you can afford to fix it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

I used to waste money on a new car whenever one came out that was so great looking that I just had to have one.  That isn't a risk any more as they don't make neat cars (at least any under $100M).  I'm with you - my present car is 16 years old - better looking, more comfortable than anything I could replace it with . . . . will be a sad day if something happens to it - otherwise it's been virtually free transportation for the past 10 years !

• 3 months ago

When you are paying, you can do whatever you choose.  When family pays for a new car, let them buy one for you.

• 3 months ago

a few bucks here and there............get a different ones when repair is more than car is worth

• 3 months ago

Guess it depends what you want to do with your money.  Impress you family or ......?...or enjoy yourself.

When I was young, I needed a 'new' car every 3-4 years because the new ones always were so much racier and my old one looked dated.   My family encouraged me to keep cars longer, but it took along time to adjust.  Now I have had my truck for 18 years and my car for 9.  I am learning.

If you keep your Toyota just a little longer it will start going up in value.  If you have a lot of miles on it , there is bound to be a Toyota dealership that will be very interested in a good advertisement.  People will stop in and say "Those trucks were absolutely great, wish that I still had mine"

Buy something newer if you need to please your family, but you should keep that truck.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Whenever I decide to part with my money and how bad I want a new car. I have a 2007 in excellent condition with a little over 72,000 miles on it and am in no hurry. But condition of car has a lot to do with making up my mind to get a new car. I pay cash for my new cars but not getting in a hurry just to have a new car saves me a lot of money. 

• 3 months ago

I can't advise you when I don't know the year, make, model, motor size and mileage dude.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.