Aggy
Lv 7
Aggy asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Why do foreigners insist on putting on silly accents when speaking English?

French, American, Italian, German. You name it they all insist on speaking in outrageous accents, presumably just to annoy the British. It is very rude.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

It is indeed very rude, and I fear it will only get worse now we have left the European Union. 

Scarlett Johansson can do an English accent, so I don't see why all Americans can't do the same. It is sheer laziness.

The Scots have no excuse either. They hear English people all the time, and could speak properly if they wanted to.

Londoners are just as bad.They jabber away in all sorts of languages that aren't even English. It wasn't like that when Ronnie and Reggie were around.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

What??  Foreigners lean English and then use a DIFFERENT foreign accent?  You mean, like a German uses an Italian accent while speaking English?  That's wack, dude!!!

Barty -- "They jabber away in all sorts of languages that aren't even English."  That's imperialism coming back to bite you, dude.

• 1 month ago

Oh dear. Another bunch of earnest folk who don't recognise a troll when it's dancing up and down under their nose singing "I'm a troll, I'm a troll, I'm a trollollolllll".

• 1 month ago

At least they have taken the trouble to learn another language whereas most brits do not bother to learn a language. It is very difficult to get rid of an accent. Indeed, only a small percentage of people who learn a foreign language truly sound like a native speaker.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

An accent is not something one puts on to fool others.  We get locked into our ways of pronunciation from a early age and it is very hard to change.  I grew up and Louisiana and live in Minnesota, so people pick up on my Southern accent. 

• 1 month ago

I agree. Nancy boy pooftas are the worst offenders.

Source(s): Many pompous years
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

There is no such thing called " outrageous accent. " British could be your favorite accent but doesn't mean other accents are bad. & trust me no one cares about what Britishers think about other's accents. No one put on accents just to annoy others.  All accents are good as long as they are easy to understand. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.