How do I know if my air ducts need to be cleaned?

Look on the furnace grates for signs of dust in the louvers. Change your furnace filters often and regularly. That is the accepted way of avoiding dust in the ductwork. 

• Larry

When they begin blowing dust when the a/c or heat is on.

Air ducts always need cleaned because furnace filters do a lousy job.

1.  if you have continuously in use and cleaned/replaced regularly [frequency depends on animal hair and dust conditions where you are] the furnace filters, the cooling side does not ever need more than vacuuming the grills.  2.  The return side needs periodic vacuuming the grills -- i do at same frequency as i change the filters.  about once a year, i take the grills down for all the return ducts and, with the system off, use my shopvac to clean up as much dust as i can reach.  -- beyond that, probably nothing needs to be done because duct/animal hair that enters via the return grills will fall down onto the floor of the duct with the first meter.  Those tradesmen who are trying to sell duct cleaning, imho, are bamboozling the public.  -- grampa  [my house is 45 years old and still has same original ductwork without the outsiders' cleaning.  Had a dog for about 6 or seven years and my sister-in-law's cat for one -- now that the animals are gone, i need to replace furnace filters only twice a year.  I'm in Florida, not one of the dry and dusty states.]

• elhigh

Well, there's a few ways:

1) You've been not bothering to install an air filter in your system for the last few years and now precious little air is getting through the system at all.  If that's the case you'll need to clean your indoor coils more than anything.

2) You've had a water leak that caused your ducts to get wet and stay that way for a while.

3) The nice man with the big smile and clipboard told you you "need" to get your ducts cleaned.

That last one is bogus.  Most of those sales guys are selling a threat, that you're at risk for blah blah blah.  Ducts in good condition more or less stay that way for years on end and don't need cleaning.  Worry about whether your ducts are clean if, and only if, something else has gone wrong with your system.

• Droopy

If you keep your filter changed regular then you should have to clean them. an even if you don't if you have a a/c coil then its acting as a filter.  In hundreds of installs I've done I've only came across a handful of ductwork that needed to be cleaned.   

For the most part ductwork cleaning is more for industrial an commercial buildings.  

• PR

Look on the furnace grates for signs of dust in the louvers. Change your furnace filters often and regularly. That is the accepted way of avoiding dust in the ductwork. Not sure, but duct cleaning may be a way for companies to make money for something that often does not need to be done. Look up how legitimate this is. 

Also, be sure the openings of the ducts, just before the grates are clean since this is the area where most things fall, and dust can accumulate. 

if they have not been cleaned in a long time and there is visible signs of dust and debri