Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 2 months ago

why do so many people  misunderstand east asian food as being healthy? when there are many dishes that aren't healthy ?

east asian foods consist of a lot of white rice which is unhealthy. if you ever go to panda express or chinese takeout, its full of dishes with sauces, sodium, trans fats.

sushi is only good in moderation because the rice adds a bunch of carbs

Update:

i guess my point is that regardless of what culture the food is from, there will always be healthy and unhealthy dishes.

whether someone eats a healthy diet or not depends on the responsibility of the individual and not the culture 

Update 2:

@grace, authenticity of cuisines is redundant because cultures always redefine themselves. 

the fact is that if you go to china, most people there don't eat the same foods that their ancestors ate. so you are making a invalid point 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Not to mention the mercury content of most sashimi these days. I think this is largely a western belief because people I know who are actually from Asia know full well how much fat is in a stir fry and how man empty carbs are in white rice. It's a lack of knowledge situation.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's completely strange that someone would even say that it's healthy.

We wouldn't have a pandemic if Asians cared about health standards. We don't even need to get into what the food is made out of.

Western civilizations have been curing food since before Christ was born. It's done for a reason.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You forgot oily and greasy.

It's still light food that makes you hungry an hour later lol.

• 2 months ago

Nobody thinks it's healthy, at least not many people do. They just like to eat it cause it tastes good. We realize that there is so much salt on the broccoli that it looked have of the nutrients, broccoli tastes good that way.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

What's served in Chinese restaurants in America is not real Asian food and I have not noticed a significant number of people that are under the impression that it is healthy, in fact I hear the opposite with talk of Chinese food containing MSG and lots of salts and sugar.

• ?
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

People like to ignore risks to things that make them feel good.

It's like smoking, tv, drugs etc. 

They will call you a conspiracy theorist for thinking intellligently. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.