Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

If an employee’s punch-in time is rounded off to the nearest interval, is that a reward for coming in a little bit early?

I work 9 to 5 (one-hour lunch).  If I punch in at 8:59 and punch out at 5, my time card says 7.10 hours, which is the equivalent of punching in at 8:54.

At my previous job, if I punched in at 8:59, my time card said 7.02 hours. So, since employers are not legally required to round off time cards to the nearest interval, does that mean my current job is rewarding me for not arriving exactly at 9?  If I punch in at 8:59 on all tens of the pay period, that’s 50 minutes more on my time card (5 minutes more per day).

All ten days of the pay period (typo)

Yes, your employer is slightly rewarding you.

you need to ask your manager this question

Usually, it is a five minute increment round up, Some allow a 15 minute round up.  It averages out for the company overall; this is not a reward for coming a little early or a little late.