Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Can the police trace the IMEI number of a phone if the caller is using an burner phone app?

I'm curious about this as I use this app all the time to prank call people. Can they trace the IMEI number if you use an burner phone app ? In my opinion I think that it makes it hard for them to do so because the phone number the app gives out is not associated with any carrier.

• sam

They can...........

I think the other people who answered this question are confused about what the asker was referring to. He is not talking about a regular burner phone. He is talking about an app that doesn’t run off any phone carrier. Those apps provide a phone number that can be accessed from multiple devices. You don’t even need an active phone. They work from either a WiFi signal or through your cellular data. They can be accessed using devices that aren’t phones. 

I would think that any SERIOUS prank call could trigger an investigation that could trace where the call came from. For example, if you made a bomb threat on the White House, the FBI would serve a subpoena on the company that owns the app. They would be required to turn over the IP address that was used to make the call. Then they would have to trace that IP address to you. They would also have the email address that you used to sign up for the app. If you used the device for any other purpose, they could probably trace it right to you. But I doubt anyone would go this far for a regular prank call. This would only happen if you used the app for a highly illegal purpose. 

Of course burner phones can be traced.  They "bing" off towers, just like every other phone.  So much for your opinion.

A burner phone number can be traced. All mobile phones (including prepaid ones) and burner apps go through a cellular carrier or virtual number operator. Your identity can be tracked through call logs, data usage, approximate location, and text messages.