Florine asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

To what extent should we let others influence our decisions?

I'd say that it's important to be surrounded by people who may have a different opinion. Perhaps it is even valuable to have them talk you into something, so you can decide how to react and discover what you truly believe in. No, you don't have to go along with something if you don't want to, but it can help you make the big decision. 

Maybe you're so sure certain about something that you don't need any guidance from others, but I don't think it can hurt. What's important is asking questions and having conversations. 

• Mike W
    Favorite Answer

Accept or reject advice as you see fit.  Just remember that your decisions, are your responsibility.  

• Git

You have already answered your own question.

Remain open minded but make your own final choices zxjqkb

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

• Carmen

That depends as the saying goes if you walk with the wise you become wise if you walk with stupid ones you fair badly. Bad association spoils useful habits or corrupt moral standards. 

I'm a big believer in letting people have their say  -  after all, we supposedly live in a country of free speech.   However, and it's a BIG however, I do not like being told what to think, even by those in so-called authority including the leaders of our country.

Here's one example: the Government chooses our "enemies", sending the military to fight their battles, but if I don't have a personal grudge against those people, then they aren't my enemies, so I couldn't and wouldn't seek to kill them.

So yes, listen but think for yourself, using reason and commonsense.

If they are left wing professors "watch Out "

• Koo

Critical thinking is always the key in making your own decisions which you alone are responsible for.

• J H

If you respect, trust the person, ASK, sure.

to no extent, you should make your own decisions