Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

If someone at work asks how old you are and rudely guesses older what should you say?(you did not bring this topic up, they did)?

Is saying “i dont tell my age” bluntly ok?

It is not their business.

They asked as the covid vaccine was brought up by them.. and they wondered about ages of co workers

They are late 20s 

You are 51..

Rude!

My age is not their business

My comment shut them up.. 😅

• Daisy

You can ask, "That's a very personal question. Why do you ask?"  If it has to do with the COVID vaccine, you can say, "It's up to the state governments how the vaccines are dolled out.  Those who have the greatest need get the vaccines first."

In many cases it's the elderly and those with underlying health conditions.  The 20 somethings should be very grateful for their youth and good health.They can always relate their questions and comments to the county health department.  It's not up to you.And, get your vaccine as soon as it's your turn. (If you want one, of course).

Do not take other people's lack of manners as a personal affront or attack. Grow a back bone!

Whenever someone makes an idiot of themselves, I use humor to shut them up. About age : I am over 18 but under 81. When asked " How much did you pay for that?...my answer... "somewhere between $ 20.00 and $10,000,00".

Say it with a Smile!

THOSE answers SHUT them up !

Why does telling someone your age such a big deal to you? They took a guess on your age. They were not rude. I am 62. I have no hang ups on other people knowing my age. 

You shut them up because you were rude. 

You could of easily said, nope not that old yet. 

• Foofa

If these were randos you didn't need to continue seeing every day you might be able to be more blunt. But unless you're planning to leave this job the best response would probably have been to defuse the situation with humor, like, "Oh no, guess I need to change up my skincare routine. I'm only 51". This isn't your first age-based question about these coworkers and you obviously already had a chip on your shoulder about them. So maybe remember that just as to you anyone under 30 looks like a child, to them anyone over 40 appears ancient. This is just the perspective age or lack thereof in the eye of the beholder. Bottom line, don't make a big deal about it if you're still going to be working beside them going forward. 

Add 50 or 100 years to your age.

You can be "blunt" if you like. But why not lighten up a bit? When you answer in a challenging way like that, people often make it their business to ferret about and FIND your age.

You should just smile and say, "Oh, I'm sure I'll get my vaccine when it's my turn" and get on with your work.

Don't be so quick to take offence and answer aggressively.

Beat them senseless with your fists and then say, "Not bad for an old person, right chump?"

“Old enough to know not to answer that question.”

“Old enough to know better and young enough to still do it.”

“Didn’t your mommy teach you not to ask rude questions?”

i would just say sorry its personal

That's ok, it's rude to ask someone's age or how much they earn.