Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

Should I leave or am I worried for no reason?

When me and my boyfriend started dating I was 22 and he was 35. He was ready for a commitment while I was into just dating. He admitted several times that if he would go back back to any of his ex's it would be with his sons mom . He felt like that she was the one he let get away. This did not bother me at first until we go more serious and made the relationship official. Although he professed his love for me and said before me he would have went back to her but now he wouldn't. He has also admitted to loving her. the last time he professed it was in November right after thanksgiving. We got into a huge argument he was drunk and said "You know who I really want" I said "Your sons mom." He replied "Exactly!" Now he has a new boyfriend and he talks about it at least once a week. He has told my best friend to keep it a secret that he plans on proposing to me in August ! They have been broken up for 5 years. We have been he has dated 2 other girls before me and now me. We have been together for 2.5 years now. We have a place together. Am I looking too deep into it?

• Strand

As the mother of his son, she will always be a part of his life. You don't have a future with him if you feel threatened by her. For over two years, you have doubted his commitment and his love for you. Nothing has changed and nothing has improved. It's time to move on.

"he has a new boyfriend" -

"We got into a huge argument he was drunk and said "You know who I really want""  - alcohol lowers inhibitions, so believe that he said the truth.

DO NOT go further in this realtionship  - get out, get free and find someone who truly loves you.

• *****

I wouldn't stay in a relationship with someone who is still in love with their ex, and who is obsessed to the point of frequently talking about their ex or their ex's new boyfriend. It certainly appears you're not his first choice and he's not over his ex. 

As far as what is normal: In over five years with my boyfriend, his exes have only been mentioned in the context of a story about him that they were present for, or general discussions early on about our relationship history. I don't even know their names. He certainly doesn't keep track of whether any of them are in relationships or obsess over them as "the one who got away". 

Only you can decide whether to accept his behavior. Since they share a child, she will be a part of his life for the foreseeable future, but that doesn't mean that his behavior in regards to her is normal or acceptable.