Trucking Business: Box Truck or Semi Truck?

Hey Everyone

A little about me:

So the pandemic has been a wake up call for a lot of us, including myself to invest in a business. I'm an entrepreneur, I have my own brand which I used to sell shoes. Also wanted to start a car dealership, but sales are hard to make, especially now & too many competition so I didnt start the dealership. So I am moving towards Service Industry instead of sales. I am interested in venturing into the trucking business. I know of a couple of truckers. One of them owns his semi & trailer & one drives a semi for a company. They're both making thousands of $ weekly. Of Course the guy that owns his makes more, $5k weekly. I have no experience hauling. 

My Plans;

I plan to drive the truck myself. I am only interested in driving locally within TX or 200-300 miles radius & be home daily or most days. I'm not really interested in driving cross country long haul type of load. The guy who owns his truck persuaded me to get a Semi truck but honestly I don't think I can handle a semi truck. It takes a certain type of skill to whip that thing & it also requires a CDL which I don't have. If I do choose a Semi, I would mostly likely look for a driver. But with a Box Truck, I can drive myself. I'm honestly more interested in the box truck due to lower overhead and operating costs

The Question;

Should I get a Semi or 26ft Box Truck? Can I make a decent amount with the box truck? I'm good with netting $2k-3k weekly honestly. Thank you for looking.

Why would I hire someone with a box truck for huge sums of money that has no experience, when I can rent a Uhaul or Ryder truck for $50 a day and drive it myself?

• n2mama

I think you need to consider a number of other factors.

1. What do you intend to be transporting? Do you have contacts you know have been looking for transport that would be available to you? Does you friend who works for himself have more business than he can handle and would be willing to throw some your way, or would you be poaching?

2. Both your examples drive semis. Do you know anyone who drives a box truck in your area you could talk to about the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of that kind of work?

3. You don’t have a CDL, and CDL training can run between $3000-7000. Are you willing to pay for that?

4. Have you looked into what your insurance needs and liability would be to do this? 

My biggest concern is that you don’t say anything about what you intend to be transporting with your trucking business.