What is one of your oldest photos?

• Petter
    Favorite Answer

bout nine months old here...

I have family photos dating from the late 19th Century which were taken and beautifully presented by professional photographers. I got into photography at about the age of 8 when I was able to climb up into the loft when my dad was there, and found an old Kodak Box Brownie with little viewfinders on the corners which took 120 film. I remember my Dad showing me how to load it and unload it safely, and him telling me that it was too expensive to get another roll of film until next month, so I'd better not let the light get at it.  It wasn't until 1963 that I first shot colour negatives.

• Alan

First permanent photograph ever made Joseph Niepce he called it heliography 1816 silver chloride with camera obscura 8 hour exposure French Inventor.  

Circa 1845. Printed in glass in a technique that was used only briefly, family records identify it as being taken in 1835 after their arrival in Toledo, Ohio in 1834 but before the death of one of the people in the photo. I question the availability of the photo process in that area in 1835 but two of the relatives are clearly recognizable in later photos.

My great grandmother in about 1890. 

I have collected and scanned all my family photos back a far as my family has them. I scanned over 5,000 photos, one at a time and now have a large collection on my computer, so it is there forever. I have a hard drive backup too. 

Now all my photos are digital of course, but I keep them on my computer too. 

• Ivan

My family used to have a lot of old photos, some going back into the 1800s. That was before the big forest fire of 1961. We lost everything when the house burned down. Now, I have some photos of Yosemite from the 1930s when my father was working there in the CCCs. That album was owned by his parents up until he inherited it. He had actually given it to them when he got out an joined the army.

Personally, I have a few fuzzy pictures that I took at the Air & Space Museum during a childhood trip to Washington DC.

The oldest picture of me is one my parents took of me shortly after I was born.

The oldest photograph in my possession is one that my grandfather took in Yankee Stadium in 1928, shortly after he immigrated to the USA.  

From the early 1970s.

I captured a photo in 1999.