Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 2 months ago

Should we hire a photographer for our courthouse wedding or wait until a possible reception or 1 year anniversary photoshoot?

My fiance and I are going to get married at a courthouse in April this year. In attendance will be only our parents and grandparents plus his sister. After the ceremony at the courthouse, we'll be having a celebratory lunch at a really fancy restaurant in town. We are dressing nicely but I won't be wearing a full-length bridal gown (I chose a short lacey dress). We would like to be able to host a larger reception for our extended families and friends to celebrate our marriage down the road.. with COVID we are not sure when we will be able to safely do this, which is why we've decided to exchange vows now and celebrate with extended loved ones later. I'm torn between investing in a photographer for our courthouse wedding or holding off until either our reception party or a 1 year anniversary photoshoot in the gardens. The courthouse we're marrying in is not pretty or photogenic but we could find some photogenic places around town to get couples photos and family photos... or I could ask his sister to snap a few photos of us on her iPhone. I'm not sure what to do! Any thoughts or advice? Thank you!

Thanks everyone—I agree, I want to capture this day with professional photos of us and our families. I don’t want to regret skipping this down the road!

• Foofa

Get a relative who's handy with a camera to take a few snaps at the courthouse and save the investment for the party you'l have down the line. 

Its really up to you, but I do want to suggest that even gathering with your immediate family and going to a restaurant afterward is the height of folly. Why are  you putting everyone, including yourself at risk , when the pandemic is worse than it has ever been before?  Do take photos, they may well be the last pictures of some of your immediate family that you will ever have.

Really should ask folks who outside the internet this zxj

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

• Trish

You should have the pictures made only order the ones you like... don't risk not getting the pictures at a later date.

how about you just wait until next year, that way you don't bother people with 2 wedding parties -_-

• ?

Yes, do have a photographer scheduled to capture your wedding day because... drumroll here ... THAT IS your wedding day.

By the way, If I were you, I would WEAR A WEDDING GOWN on my wedding day! Why NOT?

Most brides wear their wedding gown only once. Here you are with the fantastic opportunity to wear a wedding gown twice! Treat the day you get married like it will be your only wedding day celebration. I would, without a question or a doubt!

I'm late to this, but I have another idea you might consider.  All states/counties keep lists of certified officiants.  In some states, a notary public is automatically qualified!  I mention this because if someone has a lovely back yard, or there's a scenic place in town, all you have to do is get one of these officiants and you can have the ceremony wherever you want w/ a photog present.  In fact, if the restaurant has a small private room, you could even do it in there.  With these options, if you have a couple besties or someone else to invite, you'll be able to do that, and it's no time investment other than looking up the officiants and contacting them.

Be mindful that you only get one wedding - and this is it. If you want to capture the day, get some photos.

Whatever happens down the road will be a party, but NOT a wedding, or wedding reception.

FIRST check to see if you CAN bring in a photographer for a courthouse wedding. If not, I would do the photos at another location the same day as the wedding.

• Kelley

Do not wait, do it now.