Do employers REALLY care that deeply about what you post on social media?

I’m finishing college in May and all my family keeps telling me is I should delete my Facebook and that employers look at all these things and they won’t hire you if they don’t like what you post etc. I honestly don’t post on my page much/ever but I’ve been getting into a lot of political debates on news sites in the comments section. I keep it relatively classy I.e. I don’t swear at people or insult them or anything like that. Just curious. If employers were THAT concerned I feel like 3/4 the United States would be unemployment with the way they talk to each other. Thoughts?

• DON W

They care.  If you just post pictures of yourself at the beach, share your latest music interest, and things like that, you will be fine.  If you post hateful material, it could cost you a job offer or even your current job.  It's best not to post political material or engage in political debate.

• L

YES, employers care.  When you're an employee............you represent that business or company.  If you're on social media and say things your employer does not like....you can and should be fired. 

• ron h

Yeah, I'd be cautious if I was gonna start looking for a job.  You don't want pics of you or friends paralyzed on meth or naked and such.  And right now, MAGATS are looking pretty shabby, so  I'd look into a second profile. 

• Jane

It's worth checking your digital footprint, especially areas that are public. Employers do check, so control your privacy settings on any platforms you use. Sometimes a simple google of your name will highlight history activity.

Always a good idea to have control of your data.....

• garry

as long as it isn't defamition or on there time or on there computer, then you can do as you please

Yes, some employers really do care. And they will use it to decline employment or fire you if it's incendiary or racist--or depicts illegal activity. For instance, posting pics of you binge drinking isn't a great plan if you are looking for jobs driving, or operating machinery. Racist commentary can also keep you from getting hired. 

It's just not a good idea to put much of ANYTHING that can be used against you on social media at any time. Keeping things classy and neutral is your best plan if you're job seeking. You just look more professional and responsible if you do. 

• ?

Many employers do care if you post stuff that is incendiary, hateful, absurd, dishonest, obscene, irresponsible, insulting, politically extreme, etc.  Also, many posters cannot write grammatically nor clearly - and that is a bad sign.

They don't want to hire a person who is immature, uncouth, or likely to insult their company.  They are not upset by general discussions and well-composed information sharing.

It depends on the position and the employer.  Social media adds to clarify a picture of who you are that isn't on your resume.  Employers often run a credit check on you for the same reason.  The blue collar worker tends to not endure such scrutiny, but it is common in white collar positions.

FYI it is not about "how" people talk to each other, but what they claim to be and of course the photo evidence you claim as your own.  If you have nothing but family photos, that offers a much different message than someone who has a bunch of pictures drunk with his buddies.  Not that being drunk with your buddies is a bad thing either because like I said, it depends on the position AND the employer.

Yes, they care if what you post indicates you may be a problem in the workplace.  

When we hired, my manager tried to look up the possible candidates.

They were judgedby something that should be private.