Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Is it rude to tell a man that he is old to  be checking out young women? ?

So the other day I had taken the bus to the park. 

I noticed that a man kept staring at me. I pointed at myself and said "me?" He gave me a smile and acted like he didn't know what I was talking about. So I looked away. When we got close to the park I catch him staring at me. 

We both get off the bus and he takes his bike off the rack that's in front of the bus. 

I tell him he's too old to be staring at young women like me and that he should know better. He then tells me "what?" I told him "you didn't hear what I said? I said you're too old to be staring at young women like me. You're old enough to be my dad. You know better than that."

He tells me "just because someone is looking your way doesn't mean that they're looking at you." I told him "absolutely but you were looking. You shouldn't be doing that." So he tells me he's not even in to black women. I told him "you were before you got off the bus." He told me don't fck with him. I told him don't tell me what to do. 

So we go different ways but he yells at me I know who you are. I told him I know who you are b"tch. He starts calling me a b"tch as he rode his bike. I yelled that he can't handle being rejected by a woman he likes, that's why he's mad. I saw him again and he was yelling stuff at me but I couldn't understand because he was down a hill. I yelled crybaby can't handle rejection. 

I told my friend what and she said I was WRONG. I saw it me me defending myself because he was staring straight at me on the bus. 

Anonymous, 

This happened on Friday. 

Favorite Answer

No.  Staring is rude.

If you're not interested in him, just don't acknowledge it. Do your business and get to where you need to be. No need to start drama. 

Most people aren't so minutely aware of who is and who is not looking their way. That you say you "catch" him rather than notice contributes to my suspicion that you are actively looking for men to be looking at you. 

• User

Ehh...

I'd say: yes, mildly rude.

It's not your place to judge a man based on his age

especially if he is older than you.

It's disrespectful.

On the other hand, if you are annoyed by men staring at you

then it's not wrong to complain to a man about his staring at you

(although it can be UNWISE to do so, as your story indicates).

It's just that age shouldn't factor into it.

Next time, just try a non-insulting rejection, like:

- Man, I'm not interested.

or

- Don't get your hopes up.

or even

- I'm already taken.

It's less likely to result in a verbal confrontation.

• ?

Old men do that.  Smile sweetly, then walk away briskly.  He'll never catch up with you, but trying might give him some exercise.

"My husband chases after young women like the dog chases after cars.  Neither would know what to do if they caught one.

• mokrie

Looks like YOU like starting fights. I would have just ignored him. 

• Petter

If you don't want people staring at you, you should probably stay at home all together. Staring comes with going outside in the public. It's not prohibited, no matter what age.

All that fuzz for nothing? Seriously?