Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsRespiratory Diseases · 1 month ago

Is there any way to know how long my dad will have the lasting effects of COVID? ?

So my dad tested positive on November 18th, and he still requires oxygen and occasionally still has coughing fits. It hurts me to see him this way and I just try my best to help him if I can. I see a bunch of different things online but I’m hoping maybe a nurse or hospital staff member will see this to help me get a better idea. Will he always be this way? Is there any way to know when he will fully recover? By the way, he was never a cigarette smoker, he has no pre existing conditions at all. However, he is 61 years old. He also used to have a drinking problem but he’s been sober for nearly 8 years. 

• Kerri

No one really knows why some people have symptoms for weeks or months while others never have a sniffle. COVID hasn’t been around long enough for adequate long term studies into why it has such a wide range of seriousness in relatively healthy adults. It could just boil down to how strong one’s immunity is at time of infection or something else in a sick person’s environment that makes one sicker than another. Right now no one can answer your question with much certainty but there are a lot of others in your dads situation...still sick months later. Only time and more scientific stuffy will tell. 

Source(s): Nurse
  • Tavy

We call it Long Covid here in the U.K., symptoms can go on for months. Give it a google.