Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

How can I tell my dad that I don't want to be in the family business?

He owns a roofing company and keeps pushing me to work for him(my older brother works for him, as does my uncle).

I'm 18, freshly out of highschool and ready to do something I want but everytime I bring it up he threatens to kick me out of the house and I have no where to go currently and cant afford being homeless during this pandemic. 

you could always do it temporarely till you find another job

Work in the family business and start saving your money.  Figure out what you want in life and go for it.

Everything depends on how you present it.  This means, instead of saying no to his company, you say yes to something else.  Parents are big on this stuff, esp once a teen turns 18.  You say you're ready to do something you want, but what does this mean and what do you want?  Also, is your mom around?  She might be an ally.

I suggest you identify something you want to pursue and then PROVE it.  Do online research, check into community college or certification course, learn about careers, etc.  This may not be your lifelong career.  In fact, odds are high it won't be.  But maybe he just wants to see you heading TOWARDS something, rather than saying no to his offer.

Also, is compromise possible?  If you work for him, this doesn't mean it's for the rest of your life, or even for next year.  If you aren't doing anything at all, maybe accept his offer, save your money and aim for other goals.

• Carmen

Respectfully calmly let your yes mean yes and your no mean no keep it simple you’re not obligated to work in family business it’s an invitation. Keep a calm heart and your peace of mind hopefully he understands your your decisions are yours his is his. 

• T J

Tell him you want to go to college, so you can run his business in the future

Why not work for him, save as much money as possible while living at home, and then move on when you're ready to?

• Nicey8

Pls find a part time job, and ask your mum to persuade him about your future jobs. Treat your family well and your life will be better.