Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

What does adding "bien" to a word do in french?

What is the difference between these two:

J'aime ce film

J'aime bien ce film

Favorite Answer

The word ' bien ' here is an adverb. In your phrase it indicates the way to like the movie / le film. 

Other words that indicate a way: bien, mal, rapidement, vite, lentement, doucement = well, bad, quickly, fast, slowly, gently... 

It adds positive emphasis.

I was intrigued by your question. I am practising French after many years. I was once a fluent speaker but that was another lifetime. The online site I use always wants you to write 'je bien aime' if you 'like' something. It is not a construction I remember. If I like a film I would probably want to say, j'aime ce film'. If I really liked it I would probably say, j'aime vraiment ce film'.

I was hoping for more informative answers than your question has so far generated because I wouldlike to know why the online site I use insists on 'bien aimer' rather than just 'aimer'.

In this example, it's the difference between "I like the movie' and "I quite like the movie"

In Quebec, people will say, "merci bien."  It acts as a modifier to mean good, or more.