Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

What does adding "bien" to a word do in french?

What is the difference between these two:

J'aime ce film

J'aime bien ce film

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The word ' bien ' here is an adverb. In your phrase it indicates the way to like the movie / le film. 

Other words that indicate a way: bien, mal, rapidement, vite, lentement, doucement = well, bad, quickly, fast, slowly, gently... 

• 1 month ago

It adds positive emphasis.

• 1 month ago

I was intrigued by your question. I am practising French after many years. I was once a fluent speaker but that was another lifetime. The online site I use always wants you to write 'je bien aime' if you 'like' something. It is not a construction I remember. If I like a film I would probably want to say, j'aime ce film'. If I really liked it I would probably say, j'aime vraiment ce film'.

I was hoping for more informative answers than your question has so far generated because I wouldlike to know why the online site I use insists on 'bien aimer' rather than just 'aimer'.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

In this example, it's the difference between "I like the movie' and "I quite like the movie"

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

In Quebec, people will say, "merci bien."  It acts as a modifier to mean good, or more.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.