Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 month ago

Can I use the same router access the Internet at a new place?

I am moving soon, and I have already informed and asked my carrier AT&T to transfer the service. In this case, can I just simply bring my old router with me to a new place and continue to use it?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

If you are talking about the modem that AT&T supplies you when they set up the Internet, no.  It is their property and you have to return it to them.  Plus it would not be configured to work at your new location.  If you plugged it in it would not connect.  AT&T (or whoever your provider will be at the new location) will supply a new modem for you.

However if you mean a wifi router that you purchased, you can take that with you.  And once attached to the modem at your new location it should work the same as it does at your current location.

• 1 month ago

Probably, but a lot of the time when they set up the new service they'll give you the most up-to-date equipment.

• 1 month ago

Yes, you can use the same router to access the Internet at a new place.

• 1 month ago

Router, yes, you may use it without changing anything.

Modem, you need to call your ISP when you are ready to turn it back on if you have the same ISP.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If you my mean the gateway (modem and router) it shouldn't be a problem as long as you are staying with the same service type.  If you are switching between  DSL and fiber, you need a new gateway.  

Best to ask them exactly the process.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes. There is no issue here. If this is your router, and not theirs, you just plug it in, connect it up and it should work, all your passwords should work, too. 

• 1 month ago

you might be able to do it, i would ask your carrier

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.