Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How to deal with an aggressive dog charging you while you are outside?

One or my neighbors have a dog who doesn’t like me and viciously runs with full barking on at me while I am jogging by their house. 

Fortunately in all instances the owner had been at the door who yelled at the dog and he backed down. This one time his teeth were nearly sunk into my calf before he paid heed to the owners warning and backed off. 

What can I do if the owner isn’t around and this happens? Do you have a similar story to share?

• F

Set up a direct debit.

I carry this product "SABRE RED Maximum Strength Protector Pepper Spray Dog Attack Deterrent" Amazon <$15. It comes out in a red stream so chance of blow back is very unlikely. 

Have it in hand as you approach, approach from far side of the road and when the dog hits the road and makes it a 1/4 way across start spraying in the face and don't stop until the dog stops. 

Have your phone handy, if the owner starts shittingon you call the police and/or the animal warden about it.

Used the product once and it stopped the dog - not all dogs stop though (just so you know) bear spray will stop all dogs.

• "How to deal with an aggressive dog charging you while you are outside?"

DON'T be there!

DEFINITELY don't be RUNNING there!

Modern dogs (Canis lupus familiaris) and modern wolves (Canis lupus lupus) both descend from the early Canis lupus, and their "ancestral memory" regards anything that is running as being PREY, so attacks it.

And YOU are to stop being a coward who hides your own self-chosen avatar & username behind the cowardly [Anonymous] that almost always identifies an obsessive idiot or a troll.

• "One ❌or my neighbors ❌have a dog who doesn’t like me and viciously runs with full barking ❌on at me while I am jogging by their house. Fortunately in all instances the owner had been at the door who yelled at the dog and he backed down. This one time his teeth were nearly sunk into my calf before he paid heed to the owners warning and backed off. What can I do if the owner isn’t around and this happens? Do you have a similar story to share?"

The ❌s are to remind you to CHECK and CORRECT your typing before posting it. In all 3 cases you typed the WRONG word. The next 2 errors would take too much time to explain, so I haven't marked them for you.

You haven't had the sense to TELL us what AGE and BREED (or breed mix) you think this dog is, nor have you told us which CITY or TOWN this is happening in! By the way, if more than one city/town in the world uses that name you need to also tells us "your" nation or state. Get over being scared, go to your identity's   Home Page   and click the   ( Edit )   that's below the purplish banner, then type into the 2nd field: the YEAR you were born, your nearest CITY or town, whatever is interesting about you, plus some topics you are interested in.

💥Q1: Is the dog in a FENCED area, with a shut gate? Or is he chained to a suitably strong pole or some such?

If not, you have 3 choices regarding THAT route: (👽a) WALK until you are so far from the dog that he cannot see you and cannot hear your fast footsteps, or (👽b) politely inform the dog's owner that "People are allowed on the public footpath but loose dogs aren't, and so next time your dog runs onto the public footpath I will report you to the Dog Control Officer", or (👽c) abandon THAT route and instead run a route that goes nowhere near that dog's property.

If he is fenced in but can escape (you haven't TOLD US clearly whether he can), you politely inform the owner that: "From now on, I will report you to the Dog Control Officer every time your dog escapes onto the street."

If you are thinking of carrying any of the suggested sprays, FIRST contact your city council and discuss what the local by-laws have to say about the LEGALITY of the one or ones you are considering. You might care enough to also ring a vet and find out what he/she thinks of the EFFECTS of the available sprays.

Kreaky Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

baseball bat, or a heavy walking stick

https://www.google.com/search?q=How+to+deal+with+a...

• Maxi

Jog the other way and not passed their house... or walk passed before you jog on

Your neighbour is clearly in the wrong and I'd report it,  however,  for your own safety it might be better not to jog but walk past their property. 

Will be too late once the dog has bitten and you can't jog at all for a while with stitches in your leg.  

• OTTO

Carry a short style umbrella that is easy to pop open. When he charges, stop and pop open the umbrella. If it doesn't stop him in his tracks, it will at least be a defense. And it is harmless.

maybe you should talk to animal control about it

with a large stout hickory stick of course