Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 3 months ago

What to do if a school falsifies a document and claims it is yours?

So my friend has a daughter in elementary school - we will call her Marissa. Marissa is in the gifted program but has recently been tested for Dyslexia. Her teachers calls her mother and says that because Dyslexia class occurs at the same time as the gifted program, Marissa needs to leave GT immediately because she does not have time in the day to take care of Marissa's GT needs. The mother tells her that Marissa loves being in the GT program and she will consider it because learning how to overcome Dyslexia is more important than GT. That day, Marissa comes home upset and tells her mother that her teacher has informed her that her mother called the office and demanded that Marissa is removed from GT so she is able to work on her Dyslexia. She confronts the teacher and the teacher insists that is how the conversation went. The office continues to call her and tell her she needs to come sign the paperwork to have Marissa removed from GT. Today when she gets to the office, they hand her the papers and insist that she sign on the line WITHOUT READING IT. The mother snatches the paper from her hands and begins reading it only to find that the school has written the parent statement for her! "I would like Marissa removed from GT because she is Dyslexic and struggles with her work. The stress of this has impacted how my daughter feels about GT......" She refused to sign it and walked out with the document. What should she do?


I am not Marissa. I am not her mother. I am a friend to her mother

3 Answers

  • Deane
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

    I would take the child to a private testing center so she can be properly diagnosed.  After she has a proper diagnosis then the parents should take the test results to the school board of their county if the child is in a public school. The parents could also take their child out of the school and find a private school that is better suited for their child's needs. Home school could also be an option and yes gifted children do well in these learning atmospheres.  As a child I was in special ed in a town in Fl and moved to another town and was told I could not attend special ed classes because I did not have a learning disability. I was tested by a private testing agency and my parents gave the results to the head of the school board. Unfortunately I was told I would not be able to attend or receive the help I needed. Thankfully my parents cared and took me out of the public school and found me  a private school that gave me the help I needed. So if they really care then they need to do what is best because their child's future should matter most

  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

    No school administrator would falsify a permission letter and then ask the parent to sign it, it's just pointless, so I believe some sort of miscommunication has obviously occurred. Providing a document for the parent to read, correct, and sign, is NOT falsification. If there was miscommunication, the best thing for the parent to do is to schedule a new meeting with the teacher and administrators to get the whole mess straightened out. If the parent wants to bring a support person, advocate, or translator with them to the meeting, that is usually acceptable. Tell her to mention, when the meeting is scheduled, that she wants to bring an advocate/support to the meeting.

    A student who qualifies and is admitted to a Gifted and Talented program must, by law, receive the Gifted and Talented services that the school district can supply. Opting out of the program would be counter-productive. In addition, I have never heard of a dyslexic "class" period. Perhaps that is the only time available for a resource teacher to meet with the student. Too bad for the school.  If the student requires services to deal with dyslexia, the school district must provide those services.  It should never be necessary for any parent to choose between these two supplemental programs to meet their child's special needs.

  • ?
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

    maybe you should talk to a lawyer about it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.