Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Can my realtor stop my showings?

I've had tours almost everyday since I listed my home on the market one week ago. Someone showed interest, and made a verbal offer through their realtor. As soon as the verbal offer was made, the tour requests suddenly stop. I told my realtor,  I want the offer in writing. I said that so I can continue with the showings/tours. Either way, I think my realtor stopped the tours due to someone making a verbal offer. I know showings stop when the home is listed as pending, but until then, can a realtor somehow block/stop tours based on a verbal offer, without getting my input?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Ethically? No. In reality? Sure.  If showing requests come through the realtor or the real estate office, the person handling those requests could turn people away.  Today, may companies use a website or application that allows the seller to respond to showing requests directly.

No real estate agent who is worthy of the title would not have a written offer in the seller's hands within 24-hours of hearing there was interest/a verbal offer.  The agent doesn't benefit by not working on your behalf with a potential buyer or by pulling a listing until the house is under contract.

CALL your agent ASAP. If you don't get suitable answers, contact the company for which she works.  

If you're confused, you need to sit down with your realtor and start asking questions. You aren't going to get a lot of helpful information here. We don't know what your details are, and the circumstances. A verbal offer on your house can also be accompanied by earnest money--so there may have been some offered--and at that point, the realtor will halt showings so that the potential buyer can get financing. But YOU are the one who needs to have these details.  So go get them. 

Read your contract.  You hired the realtor to do a job.  The job they will do should be outlined in your contract.  If this issue is not addressed in the contract, the realtor can do whatever he or she feels is right, as long as it is in line with selling the house.

You need to talk with your realtor.  An offer should be made in writing.  The listing cannot be "pending" until an offer is made and accepted.

• Scott

People can do whatever they want, as long as nobody stops them.

If the realtor has a verbal offer you tell that Realtor that you need to see some earnest money if not the tours will continue if the realtor doesn't approve you tell the realtor you're fired it's that simple if there is a verbal offer show me some earnest money or your verbal offer means diddly

i would ask him this question