Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Why are people taking longer to grow up these days?

For example my cousin is 33 years old and still lives at home, works part time, drivers for Uber, doesn’t have health insurance, is single, never dated, and plays video games 10 hours a day. He will be living at home until his parents die most likely and has no interest in his personal finances, spends all his money on beer and cigarettes, and doesn’t even help around his home for his parents. His mom still does his laundry and makes his bed for him 

Because their parents treat them like babies, don't give them responsibilities, and don't require them to grow up.  That's called child abuse.  In earlier centuries, people lived adult lives in their late teens.

• KTJoe

A whole generation is baby like due to being given everything, spoiled rotten and like your cousin read on. Cousin may have mental health issues, maybe pardy to much in his 20's drugs, weed, STD's etc. 

Think about it for a second.  Wouldn't it be nice to not have a mortgage, and have someone clean up after you, cook, and do whatever you want for 10 hours a day?  He doesn't care about the same things you do.  As long as his parents support him he's happy.  I'm not saying it's "right", but at least you can understand why he likes that setup. 

• L

Because both of their parents work and their parents never taught them how to do this.

• Kelly

That is between them and none of your business.

You’re living In the past. When I was growing up you didn’t even need a college degree to have the “American dream”. Things are obviously different. Stop living in the past. 

In my opinion, there are advantages for parents who have children who live with them, as the parents will be aging and the children will be there to assist their needs. It is very sad when parents are getting older some day, and need to pay a stranger to take them to the

doctor or even worse when they fail to perform their intimate needs alone. It is not a rule that children have to leave the house as adults, especially if they are single. 

The brain is not developed until age 21, but maybe this 33 year old is disabled. People who have disabilities DO NOT grow out of it.

1. I am 26 I live at home yet, never had a girlfriend as I DON'T WANT ONE!!! (Being single does not mean you are not grown up, it goes by if you take responsibility). I DO have health insurance, I play video games like 6 times out of a year! My mom and I BOTH do laundry. Another thing is.....do you have PHYSICAL GOOD EVIDENCE on all this, I am actually a state trooper and the thing is before you crack a case or charge YOU NEED PHYSICAL GOOD EVIDENCE! For example, he may be your cousin BUT how do you really know what HE is doing 24/7, 365 are you with him 24/7, 365 NO! How do you have proof beside a.) assuming or b.) listening and believing others. Atleast he is STILL working whether it is part time or full time, it is still a job! Uber drivers get paid anywhere from $11-$16 and hour LOOK IT UP, I just looked it up on bing. So if he works part time AND ALSO drives for uber he has maybe a fair income coming in. At least he is working. I know people like you, they want to butt their noses into others business with no solid proof! Plus he can't be JUST spending HIS MONEY on beer and cigarettes, again he works so he has a car, so he needs to put money TO THAT, repairs, maintenance, gas. I think you ARE THE ONE who need to think and grow up. Plus is it really mature you coming on YA complaining about somebodies PERSONAL life that doesn't pertain to you? Edit: there is some people WHO REFUSES to work at all or they get a job an decide I don't want to work no more! And they live at home or with someone and sponges and doesn't make ANY income. Time for you to grow up!

The answer to your question is in that last sentence. His parents are enabling this young man and not teaching him to stand on his own two feet. Yes, they should have started a lot earlier than now, but that doesn't mean they have to keep it up. Had they forced him to work, cut off the comforts and not permitted him to take advantage of them, he would have grown up a long time ago.