Sam
Sam asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

I watching the National Championship Dog Show on television, is it bad of me to want one of each?

I like them all.  I would be a terrible judge because there is no way I could choose between them. I think they all deserve to win. 

Correction:  I'm watching

It was a good show wasn't it?  There were many that I wouldn't want.  Some because of the up keep of their coats, just too hairy & too much brushing.  I don't like the dog with a bunch of flubbery skin, I don't care too much about the toys, way too small for my liking. But I enjoyed watching.

No but it's not really feasible, as said.   When judging, the judge assesses each exhibit against the Breed Standard and the rest of the class.   He is required to choose the one who, in his opinion because this is subjective, closest fits his idea of an outstanding example of his breed.   Sometimes it comes down to the one who performs on the day, if they are all excellent.   Temperament should come into a judgement decision.

You clearly love dogs in general, but I suggest, by no means all would fit your lifestyle, accommodation, time or finances.

Add -   What show is this - I thought Westminster had been moved to mid-summer this year - 2021?

Bad?  I have no idea.  Irresponsible/foolish/childish?  Yes.

Is it bad of you to want one of each?  Not really, but it's not feasible either.  You like dogs a LOT, as do I, but I sure as HECK wouldn't own many MANY breeds of all the AKC recognized breeds.  Most of them would just NOT fit what I would desire and expect in a dog, whether it comes to size, grooming, expected temperament, etc., etc.  Read what E.H. Amos wrote because they were pretty much spot on, outside of the fact that ALL of those dogs shown ARE winners for MANY reasons, even if they didn't win in their group today or take home BIS.  You just don't understand how this sport works, but you admitted that by saying you'd be a terrible judge.  I have a little experience with dog shows myself and the Doberman Pinscher is my breed of choice.  I KNEW that the Dobe that was seen today would NOT place in the working group, but rest assured, at the end of the day, that dog IS a winner.  It's not some Backyard Bred dog who was sold to just anyone.  That dog is leading the "good life" just like all of the dogs shown today.

The judge is asked to pick the best dog as to meeting its breed standard.  If you knew each breed's standard inside & out - it would be easier.  Many of these are nearly perfect dogs, but even I can often see flaws - esp in the movement for THAT breed.  The judge must pick the best overall (the MOST perfect  -in the judge's opinion) - just like any beauty pageant picks a winner.  Sometimes, a dog "asks for it" and is more "ON" or more showy in a particular day or night - adding to his perfect coat, gait, etc.

One should NOT pick a dog - based strictly on looks; any more than you should marry somebody ONLY based on looks.  You must pick a dog based on how well it matches your lifestyle.

I do not like grooming or vacuuming tumbleweeds of dog hair therefore, many of the dogs recognized by AKC hold no appeal for me.  I can admire their beautiful coat, and all the WORK that went into the grooming of it, but would NEVER want the "maintenance".