Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 2 months ago

DNA test during pregnancy ?

Hello, I been dating this guy and I recently became pregnant sure enough he didn’t take it well and accused me of lying about being pregnant so we did a couple of test all came back positive then he proceeded to say he wants me to get a dna test done while I’m pregnant. Not sure how that works? Is it harmful towards the baby? I have nothing to hide so I don’t care if he takes it mostly I want to know if my baby we’ll be okay.

• LizB

Non-invasive prenatal paternity testing is just a blood test. However, it's expensive (around $1000-$2000, not covered by insurance). If he wants to pay the entire cost of a NIPP test rather than waiting until the baby arrives and they can both do the much cheaper cheek swab, then let him blow his money.

"I've" been dating, not "I" been dating. A DNA test while pregnant is totally safe, and there are a number of home kits that you can use if you're not comfortable going to a doctor's office during COVID. The test is relatively simple, and cannot harm either you or the fetus. It can be performed any time after the 7th week of pregnancy.