Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Why do cats drool?

Is it typical for cats to drool? Or is it dogs only? Ive just got a cat. Shes almost 1 year old. She rests on my lap. When she puts her mouth on my legs, my pants get wet. Is it natural for her to produce saliva?

cats do that when they are really happy - your cat loves you

• Beth

Some cats drool when they are happy and relaxed. Some chew a piece of cloth and drool. However, drooling also can signify a dental problem where the cat is experiencing a lot of pain.

For example, I knew that my cat had a dental problem when he tried to drink water and it all drooled out of his mouth repeatedly. He was only one or two then. My friend's cat was drooling constantly also. Both my cat and hers needed veterinary dental care. My cat needed an extraction. My friend's cat needed a root canal. 

So, observe your kitten and see if seems like it is having trouble eating or drinking. If so, it needs dental care. Even if the cat seems to be free of pain, it would be good to get it a dental cleaning sometime in the next year.

STOP FEEDING HER DRY FOOD. It sticks to their gums & teeth.

• Craig

That's not typical.  Take her to a good vet.  Could be something wrong with her tongue or her teeth, or maybe an allergic reaction to what you're feeding her.  Cats shouldn't drool.  It's bad for their lifestyle.