What would you collect now that will be  valuable due to being rare 10 years from now?

• kswck2

Really impossible to tell. When Roosevelt took the US off the gold standard and told people to cash in their gold coins, he never knew that it would become so valuable like it is today. As kids, we would take clothespins and clip baseball cards to the spokes of our bikes, never figuring that would be big business in just a few years. Comic books were something to read, swap and throw out. Same with slot cars and Lionel Trains, use them till you grow up and get rid of them.

For the most part, I do not collect 'things'. I have seen way too often, that when someone dies, all that stuff gets thrown out anyway. 

Signed posters of celebrities and character action figures.

I'd hold off on collecting stuff. I bought a while back a 3ct red beryl stone for $10k. Now mind you I don't have any necessity to get rid of it right. So a few years after owning it, I had it appraised and they gave me a slightly higher apraisal than what I paid for about $10,250. So just to speculate I went to a couple of jewelers to see what they'd offer and they low balled the heck out of me. So one offered me something like $7,650. Another one offered a higher sum $8,375. It seems like metals, stones, etc is very hard to speculate because the only buyers you might have say jewelers will want to low ball you so they can get a profit out of it. So I'm stuck with a nice looking stone that is kept safely stored in a bank vault. Just saying be careful with all those investments involving gold, diamonds, precious metals, etc because whoever buys it from you will want to make a profit out of it which means they either have to low ball you to then turn around and sell it at the fair price OR they'll have to buy it from you at the fair price and then turn around and sell it a premium much higher than the fair price. Now tell me which of those two options do you think would be easier for the person buying it from you?

• Kieth

Gold, it always goes up.