Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 month ago

Elderly father becoming increasingly naive?

I worry about my elderly father who has always been naive, but as he becomes older he has become even more naive. This feels like a disaster waiting to happen. Throughout the years, as his daughter, I have had to save him from many scam calls and from walking into traps by people because he assumes everyone is good and has his best interest at heart. I really dont know where he got this from but Im assuming its his generation and his religious background. He lacks any real discernment and its exhausting for me to try to keep him aware of everything otherwise hes in danger of succuming to scams and now he constantly watches the news and is in fear 24/7 because of it. This is likely an early sign of alzheimers. What should I do? I am a grown adult with my own life, I cannot keep babysitting him and it stresses me out when he doesnt have any discernment for himself.

Lately when I try to help him, he thinks I am insulting him. This is becoming a real issue and it is getting worse. Any advice for how to deal with elderly parents who are becoming more child like? How do you protect them from making mistakes or trusting the wrong people?

Whatever idiosyncrasies a person has when younger tend to get more intense in old age!  

• kswck2

Have him examined. He may have the beginnings of dementia or senility. 

• Ann

Who has Power of Attorney and Medical Power of Attorney for him?  If you are the one in charge of those things, then you can better control his ability to be scammed.  Take away credit cards and see that there's only a certain amount of money in his banking accounts.  Put the rest of his money in a separate bank in savings or money market accounts, to be used for bills and medical needs.  Elderly people tend to believe others are good, and that's certainly not the case in many instances, in today's world.   You need to speak to his dr. and attorney about how they can help you protect him.  Call to set appts. with them, and ask that they will speak with him about the need to set things up before it's too late.  That way, you don't have to feel that you're babysitting him all of the time.

You don't say how old your father is or who else lives in the house with him etc.  Does he have a care worker of some kind or a social worker?  If not I suggest that you, first of all, have a word with his doctor and mention these issues.  Doctors and social workers are usually the best place to enquire first of all. They know what other services are available.  However, unless he is deemed incompetent there is very little you can do.

Don't forget, this is the man who "babysat" you and changed your diaper and cleaned your sh*t off your *** for the first 12 years of your life.  I think you owe him something.

If this is a legit Q I doubt it) you sound more like you are making fun  of him instead of being concerned about his welfare.   If you are concerned simply explain that you are and tell him that there are a lot of bad actors out there and plead with him to not give his personal info to anyone and to not even answer the phone if he does not recognize the no.  Tell him to never sign anything without telling you but make sure he knows this is out of love and concern. Give him a few examples of people who have been taken.To prevent him from becoming very cynical remind him that there are plenty of people he can trust and name those people.  If you treat him like he's stupid  of course that is insulting. He's used to a time when people could be trusted.

it might just be cause hes getting older