Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

If my I sit on my bicycle and the pads of my feet can touch the floor. That is good leg extension right?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

If you own a cruiser..... maybe. If you want to ride the bike efficiently, for distance, and for speed .... NO.

While sitting, your legs should almost be straight when the pedals are in the six o’clock position. Just a slight bend. 

You slip on and off the saddle when you come to a stop.

Soccerref

• ALBERT
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

For ride efficiency they say the best height is when you are sitting on the seat and only the front of your feet are touching the ground at the same time. Having the seat lower is OK too but in case you feel more comfortable that way but it is not quite as great but is better then having the seat too high.

Source(s): Many years of cycling.
  • 1 month ago

Its about mainly your comfort,, if you feel comfortable in this position,, good to go

• 1 month ago

Having your knee slightly bent at the lowest part of the pedal circle usually means that you can barely touch your tip-toes to the ground when seated.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Nope.  Lean against a wall or something and then sit on your bike.  Put your heal on the peddle and then rotate the crank until it is at its lowest point.  Adjust the saddle height until your leg is locked out.  This means that when you move to the balls of your feet, your leg should be slightly bent.  Yes you will need to come off of the saddle to stop.

Move your saddle to the middle position and then rotate the crank to the 3 9 oclock horizontal position.  Move your saddle forward or backward until your knee is over the ball of your foot (The more forward foot).  If you wabble from one side to the other when peddling, lower the saddle a 1/4 inch.  Handlebars.  When leaning forward on a road bike, you should have a 90 degree angle from your arm to your body.

The thing with this set up is that it should stop you from getting aches and pains on longer rides.Having the saddle as low as you were looking at will give you all sorts of knee problems.

If you are feeling flush and look to be doing distance rides, bike fits start from about £60.

• 1 month ago

Look out everyone.  Christine (or someone just like her) is still asking this same question...again!  Leg extension refers to when your butt is on the saddle to the pedals, not the ground.  Both starting & stopping, your butt shouldn't be on the saddle.  You straddle the bike across the top tube as demonstrated in the YouTube video I've left at least once before.  Wake up.  Pay attention.  Learn.  If you can't follow this simple example, perhaps you should quit riding altogether.  Take a bus or call a cab.  

https://youtu.be/R0CJk5UpY4w

Youtube thumbnail

• 1 month ago

Christine sell the little folding bike and go to a reputable bicycle shop so you can be fitted with the right frame size. I recommend an 8 speed internal geared hub touring bike. Get a bicycle computer with a cadence (crank rpm) meter on it. Then be in a gear were you can comfortably maintain a cadence of 70-90. If a gear is to easy or to hard to comfortably maintain a cadence of 70-90 it means you're in the wrong gear. Always be in 1st gear for take offs.They'll adjust the bike so you'll have maximum comfort while riding.

Source(s): Motorized bicycle owner and builder.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

As long as you can ride safely then it is good.  In general, cyclists want to position their seat so that when the pedal is at the lowest position, the leg is slightly bent. This will maximize pedaling efficiency. Using toe clips also increases pedaling efficiency but many people do not use them or cleats and cllipless pedals  So, as long as you think that you will be safest by being able to touch the ground with your feet when you ride, then that is fine too.  Safety first. Pedaling efficiency or speed is less important. 

• David
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

If you intend to use it as a straddle bike/run bike - sure.

If it’s a crank-forward/semi-Recumbent, maybe.

If it’s a traditional, adult-sized upright bicycle - most likely NOT.

Leg extension refers to where your feet are while RIDING.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

it sounds good, i dont think i could do that

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.