Does diabetes run in families or does poor diet and excerise habits?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 day ago

much of medicine runs on probabilities, such as vaccines that increases the probability of not getting the illness, but they do not 100% protect you from the illness.. but back to your question, hereditary and lifestyle both affect the probability of getting Diabetes Mellitus DM.. if you have both parents with DM, you have a high probability that you would get DM.. if you are overweight, being overweight increases the probability of getting DM..

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I was told by my Diabetic Team that the fact my mother and sister were Type 2, pretty much meant I'd develop this, whether fat or rail thin.  

On the other hand, my husband is Type 2 D. also, but as far as we know, he has no close relatives who were Diabetic.

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Diabetes is strictly genetic,  but there is no evidence of heredity, though it does often follow family's DNA.

The metabolic disorder that is erroneously called diabetes ii is 99% due to a poor diet.   It CAN be brought on by genetic factors or even severe illness, but it is mostly all due to chronically consuming things that are not food and that are poisonous over time, like sugars. 

Diabetes II is preventable by simply eating only whole foods and drinking only water, unsweetened teas and unflavored milk. 

This is the human diet and we have strayed and now we think it normal to be fat and have such a high rate of heart disease and diabetes II.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Type 2 diabetes runs in families. It is genetic. Lifestyle and poor eating habits ALSO can cause Type 2 diabetes and often do run in families, but poverty is is often a more direct cause tong with genetics. 

Type 1 diabetes does NOT, BUT there may be a genetic component. Type 1 diabetes is?a chronic medical condition auto immune disease triggered by an acute infection with a high fever that destroys the insulin producing beta cells in the pancreas. There is NO remission and NO CURE despite what many people claim. They are NOT type 1 diabetics. 

Type 1 diabetes is NOT STRICTLY GENETIC. That is a LIE.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

much of medicine runs on probabilities, such as vaccines that increases the probability of not getting the illness, but they do not 100% protect you from the illness.. but back to your question, hereditary and lifestyle both affect the probability of getting Diabetes Mellitus DM.. if you have both parents with DM, you have a high probability that you would get DM.. if you are overweight, being overweight increases the probability of getting DM..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.