I’m turning 21 in a week and I’m somewhat nervous I won’t be able to control my drinking ?

I consider my self a person who can very easily get addicted to things, I’ve been a caffeine junkie since I was 12. My dad since I turned 18 has let me drink beer in moderation, he’ll buy me a 6 pack occasionally and only lets me drink downstairs with him. The few times I’ve been to a party with alcohol I’ve lost control and went crazy. How can I keep my self or prevent myself from getting addicted to alcohol, since I do enjoy drinking very much. 

Then do not drink, think of this -  alcohol kills  close top 90,000 Americans a year. 

One thing to keep in mind is that not everyone is meant to drink. There are a lot of mental, physical, and genetic factors to consider. Some people might tell you drinking is bad, it will ruin your life etc. Not necessarily true.

As far as your 21st birthday goes, let loose, enjoy yourself, just make sure you have good friends or family to keep you safe. As far as regular drinking goes you need to keep yourself in check. Alchoholism and addiction run in my family, however I have never allowed drinking to affect my life. I decided upon some rules just before I hit 21 and have followed them to this day without fail. 

1. Never drink before noon

2. Never drink alone

3. Never drink when you are depressed

4. Never drink during work hours or before

5. Avoid drinking on an empty stomach 

Breaking these rules are how you become an alcoholic. Shortly after turning 21, I drank like a fish. I spent 2 and a half years drinking myself to sleep every night, but never Breaking these rules. I eventually chilled out and only drink hard 0-4 times a week depending on if I'm in the mood.

Keep in mind that everyone is different and you will only understand yourself from trial and error. For example, people like myself and my father can drink enough hard liquor to hospitalize the average person and you would never know we are drunk. Then you have people like my uncle. He can't drink just one beer, he black outs every time he is drunk, and drinks to forget is misery and problems. People like that should never have a drop of alcohol in their life. Period. I highly recommend following my 5 rules and remember only drink to relax and socialize. Do not drink to drown away your problems.

Hi Rick, 

My heart goes out to you. Please, if you recognize within yourself that you can easily get addicted to things; don't engage in it. My ex husband enjoyed "socially" drinking and then it turned into alcoholism and this literally destroyed our family. Don't believe the lies that society has to offer about the "freeing" feeling of alcohol, or how fun life is when we drink too much or get blackout drunk. It it difficult to walk away from it when people are making fun of you for not engaging in the party or drinking lifestyle. But it always does more harm than good. 

Don't drink. Quite simple. 

• D50

Put off your 21st birthday for a few years until you have better self-control.

Try reaching out for extra help outside your comfort zxjq

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

Start putting yourself in better situations and anticipate the offer to be put in that situation. You can start by eliminating your participation by choosing other friends. Maybe, involve yourself in a hobby, cooking, reading, or anything of interest. You said you have an addicted personality, then pursue things of interest and make that addiction work for you.  Example: Learn to make a badass non alcholic drink. Get yourself prepared for invites that arent healthy for you. All the best.

• ?

I was like you- I was very afraid that I was going to be an alcoholic. But I only had to get sick once to determine my limit. I get a cold feeling in my stomach- then I know it's time to stop. It's pretty normal for teens to go overboard a few times- I wouldn't worry about that. Research shows that people whose parents were either alcoholics OR didn't drink at all who tend to drink too much. Those whose parents modeled drinking in moderation learn how to drink in moderation. 

• blank

A hood suggestion is not to drink if you think you may lose control this may be the best option.