Are oil change technicians sales pitch speeches for synthetic oil a con?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

First off Synthetic oil is superior to conventional oil which has been proven over and over. Some new car manufactures recommend the use of Synthetic oil. In fact if your car requires SAE 0w-20 oil it must be Synthetic as it is not produced in conventional form. With Synthetic you can extend your oil change intervals which helps save oil and money for you. I highly recommend the use of Synthetic oil in all internal combustion engines. So is it a scam? No it is not. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I object to the Price of Synthetic oil so i Buy $76 for 5 Ltrs when it is $36 for 5 Ltrs on special the Oil Filter in stores $46

Purchased 4 on Ebay for $44 so $46 and 1/2 Hour of my Time One Oil and Filter change every 10,000 Miles some places charge over $200 for an Oil and Filter Change

My 220 Sb Mercedes Benz still uses Castrol GTX3 with a Zinc additive every 10,000 Miles and after the Engine Rebuild 20 years ago still runs Sweet

• F
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

This is the 21st century. Most cars stopped using 20W50 mineral oil years ago. Use synthetic, lasts longer, ( so cost about the same un the long run), protects your engine better. Why would you deliberately use an inferior oil?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Read the owner's manual and put the recommended oil in the manual.  Everything else is a sales pitch.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You mean high school drop out lube boys? If you don't put many miles on per year running synthetic oil is a good idea so you don't have to change the oil every 3 months. Synthetic oil has no time limit on changing it. 

• 2 months ago

used to work at jiffy lube, and short answer is no. The computer system lists the capacities as well as the oil recommended by the manufacturer of the vehicle, among other things. Most new vehicles require synthetic oil per manufacturer recommendations, but they will use whatever oil the customer wants. There are some vehicles that should not use synthetic oil, but not many... mazda rotary comes to mind. Now use those free top-offs people, over half the cars that cam in there were off stick, and smoking out of the oil cap. Jiffy lube has other ways to fleece customers, such as $75 belts and $20 wiper blades. They need those margins to pay for engines they forget to put oil in.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Synthetic oil is better than conventional.  I recently did head gaskets on an '02 with 177k on it that had used synthetic all its life & there was not even a hint of sludge under the valve covers. If you plan on keeping your car for a long long time & you want it to last for you, synthetic is a good idea.  If you plan on trading or selling every 4 or 5 years, I guess you might as well save your money & buy conventional. 

• 2 months ago

Synthetic oil is good for engine cost a few dollars more, the question is how do you know tech goimg put in the real McCoy. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.