Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

I have a small pug that likes to attack and bark at people. Why did this girl stay so calm?

I went out with my child and small dog for a walk. Its a bit late in the afternoon. I have a small pug that loves to bark and scare people off. Almost everyone switches lanes and avoids my dog. I get scared for my dog because a man kicked him once. He's harmless and won't bite but he loves scaring people off. Everyone runs away or tries to defend themselves but this time, it was different. My kid was crying and it started snowing so we were making our way back home. My dog saw a girl who was like 5 meters away. He started running towards her but she stayed so calm and kept walking normally. I was so scared that she would hurt or kick my dog or end up yelling at me. I was ready for a fight. But she didn't say anything and ended up apologizing to me. Why did she not get scared? Most people would start running away or try to kick my dog. I had to argue with several people before. I know its my fault as well for not training him and not putting him on a leash. He gets so mad when he's on the leash so I let him roam around when there's not many people out. How do I train him?

• TK

How about a basic obedience class that teaches the Heel?  

you put him on a leash like it or not, performance or not. You then teach it to sit on command. and to walk to heel.... if you cant find a trainer that can that simple.

Start with basic obedience.  You can learn how to train your dog online, from dog training books or by joining a basic obedience class.  I prefer the classes cause there is in instructor there that can help with any problems the dogs or owners are having with their dogs.  It is a group class & dogs & owners all have to learn what is being done.  Online there are videos of all the commands & shows you what you need to do to get your dog to do the things that it is supposed to learn.

You also need to stop all the excessive barking.  You need to keep the dog on a leash regardless of how much he hates it.  If you don't want your dog abused by other people you need to get the dog trained.

Basic obedience classes teach your dog the 7 basic commands & should take about 8 weeks to teach it.  Learning one command each week & practice & practice & practice.  Dogs & children all learn in the same way, repetition, repetition, repetition, over & over & over again & again until it is done right.

You need to hire a trainer or start working your dog on a lead, in a harness.  Since your dog has never had these items before you first need to teach him to wear them, then teach him he can walk around and still play with the lead attached, then he can walk with you holding the lead.

This will take time to teach.  You could do it by yourself but you will have to watch a lot of training videos and how to’s on you tube.

Start inside your house, when he’s comfortable and moving around in the house well start working him outside in the yard, then around the block, he should be ready to go after that.

Don’t use just a collar he can damage his throat by pulling, don’t use a chain or wire lead or retractable leash, they are dangerous and worthless unless you have a well mannered and trained dog.  If another dog were to attack and your dog was some 20 feet or more away he becomes that dogs snack.

As for people kissing your loose appearing aggressive dog.  Good for them, unless they see the dog come running up from your side hoe are they to know he belongs to you, just because your walking the dame direction?  I’ve been known to kick and hit dogs that come bouncing up growling, showing teeth and barking when they try going after my dog on lead.    There is a leash law in most areas but if there isn’t in yours there is a law that your of does need to be within your intros at all times.  If some elderly person were startled and fell over and broke a hip because of your dog or had a heart attack because they thought they were being attacked, who do you think would be liable for the bill?  Not the dog.

The little girl has been taught well, stay calm, don’t run, no sudden noises or movements, act normal.  Most dogs loose interest if there’s no prey to chase.  She became normal an  boring , no fun for your dog.  As to the people that have kicked him, and it’s been more than once.,.. shame on you for not putting him on lead before, one soli low to the belly or throat or just right in the ribs = dead dog.   Consider yourself lucky and warned.  You may not be so lucky next time.   Train the dog if you like him even a little bit.  Once your dogs well trained, walks perfectly on a lead and at liberty, it’s then and only then you can let him run off leash, but he needs to come back to you as soon as you call no matter what.

To have a dog off the leash when in public is not training him but subjecting him to being kicked or harassing people. The girl who acted calm knows him already and was actually trying to teach him something.

Keep your dog on a shorter leash and stop letting it harass people. What is wrong with you? I would absolutely punt any dog that came barrelling at me to attack, and wouldn't blame anyone else who did, either.

• Jojo

Sigh,🙄..... Another reason why laws on dog ownership should be drastically tightened up.

Way too many dog owners that have not got a clue how to handle them. Jmo.

The Pugly likes to annoy people?

I've passed by birds, rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, skunks, fox, People, I've been to New York and they all minded their own business.

Why this pugly needs to annoy people? My only suggestion is the owner has not trained the stupid out of it yet or can't.

Why this person didn't run? Probably because she feels bad for how ugly they look.

iunno.

yes you have a lovely dog u must be so proud of. When out with the dog keep him on a leash.

Not everyone is afraid of dogs. I’m not. As long as I remain calm, the dog isn’t going to attack.