CAR – No headlights but has blinkers (Legality)?

Would it be legal to drive a car from

10:00AM – 3:00PM on clear sunny days

if the car had no headlights but it had

blinkers so that you can give turn signals?

Update:

@ ANTON

Are you saying that the car pictured has no headlights?Or are the headlights covered by retractable flaps?

Update 2:

@ ANTON

The CVC hand-signal exception for old cars is interesting.

Attachment image

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Jay P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Depends on the laws where you are driving.

If you driving in a country with mandatory DRL's ( daytime running lamps ), this vehicle would NOT be legal on public roads, even during the day.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

In other words you think everyone who reads your question is a total moron.

• F
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

As I understand it, a car must comply with certain design feature to be allowed on the road. Manufacturers obviously do this every time a new model is launched, but if you make you own car you have to submit these tests( like an MOT but goes into basic features ).” at a government approved centre. I think they would soon notice that it had no lights, an a promise not to drive in the dark , isn’t going to work.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you have a pull knob headlight switch if you pull it out slowly you will feel a first stop.   That is the signal lights that are on steady on the fog lamp(or marker light) mode. (I always called it fog lights). The signal light has 2 filaments in it, one burn for fog lamp and a brighter one burns for signal light.

Toggle switches have the dual setting too. The first click is for fog lamps in the front.  Leave engine running, park brake on and get out of the car and walk to the front of the car and you will see the amber lights on steady.  If you go to the back of the car the red tail lights are lite too.   Now flip the turn signal  and walk to the front of the car and see how it outshines the fog light and the same story for the rear.   The rear has dual bulbs because one is for brake pedal lights.

. Before they came out with the headlights on, the fog lamps would be used instead.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No.

The weather can change suddenly.  There's always a risk that it will start raining or get dark and you'll need headlights.  But if it doesn't, then you probably won't get caught.

There are also a few roads with signs saying that you are required to use headlights always, even when it's a sunny day, including some unusually dangerous roads and some tunnels.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

In California, headlights are required to be turned ON on some sections of  2 lane roads during the day.  You will get a ticket if your lights are not ON.

• 1 month ago

Well in my State you better not go in to construction zones, they will require you to use your headlights. You are also running the risk of what if the weather changes, wipers on require headlights on in most States now. If things go just right you'd be legal to drive without headlights.

• Anton
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Any State, any Country -- you can have an automobile without headlights.  See my LTD:

In California, and I would expect other States to follow, the Vehicle Code does not requires headlights.  Although sometimes you are required to turn on your headlights -- which means you may not drive at such times.

If the car is old enough, it does not need "blinkers."  You can use hand signals for turns.  CVC does not require using your blinkers if you use hand signals.

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

No sane government would allow a car without headlights to be registered, so no.

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Depends where you live but in the US most states want you to burn headlights in the rain, there are often many miles of roads that require headlight use, in the fog they let other's see you more clearly. Also most states (if not all required vehicles to have working headlights with two beams. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.